My library is complete! What am I missing?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

proppastie

Log Member
"The Glider" Frati free pdf, google. "FAA Glider Criteria" free pdf google or my PropPastie site. AC 43.13-1B FAA free pdf

pictsidhe

Huh, maybe I need a third aeroelasticity book?

My college maths books are long gone. Recommendations? I'm a bit rusty.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member

PiperCruisin

Another book I use a lot is "Pressure and Strain" which is a handbook/catalog by Omega...I think it was free. Sometimes catalogs can have some useful information in them. This particular one has a lot of information on strain gages/load cells and beam diagrams and formulas reprinted from Blodgett's "Design of Weldments".

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Isn't "mechanics of Materials" by Gere / Goodno is the same as the Gere / Timoshenko book?
Do not know about them being the same, but it is customary to leave the original author's name in place if much of the content is kept while the new authors make substantial new contribution... If it has become the go-to mechanics of materials text, it should be a big help with all of structural understanding.

Thread drift alert - Story is that Gere was first a prize protege of Professor Timoshenko, then married Timoshenko's daughter.

Billski

Jimstix

Fluid Dynamic Drag - Hoerner (don't bother with his book on lift)
Airplane Design - K. D. Wood
Practical Stress Analysis - Flabel
Aircraft Structures - Perry (get only the 1950 edition, the more recent edition is useless in the homebuilt context)
Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students - Megson
Airplane Design - All Vol's - Roskam
Airplane Structural Analysis and Design - Sechler & Dunn
Aerodynamics of the Airplane - Milikan
Vector Mechanics for Engineers - Beer & Johnston
Mechanical Engineering Design - Shigley
Calculus Made Easy - Thompson and Garder (a good place to start)
Calculus - Flanders, et al.
Calculus and Analytic Geometry 4th Ed - Thomas (a classic)

Chris Young

Some of those already mentionned but just to list the ones I have :

Fluid Dynamic Drag - Hoerner
Aircraft Structures - Perry
Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students - Megson
Introduction to Composite Materials - Tsai, Hahn
Airplane Performance Stability and Control - Perkins
Mechanical Metallurgy - Dieter
Kitplane Construction - Wanttaja
All Bingelis books
Aerodynamics - von Karman (historical more than technical but extremely interesting)

proppastie

Log Member
Maybe you need to figure out what you want to do, and what you are going to make it out of.......that might determine what books you need. Building a kit, vs scratch built from plans, vs the new revolutionary aircraft doing things no other aircraft can do, or maybe just seeing if you can do it,.... what ever it is,.... even if it is not revolutionary. In your profile it says "aero-engineer" so it might be interesting to see what you had in mind.

pictsidhe

Once you have a better idea of what you want to do after reading what you have, you'll likely want another book, or three. It's an incurable affliction.

I just received a copy of 'Polypropylene Handbook'. If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd need that, I'd have been rather skeptical. I don't know half of what I need to learn from it, till I've read it. As it's a material that hasn't had too much use as a primary structural material in aircraft, it seems wise to learn all I can. I'm even reading the section on catalysts.
I'm hoping that my ground breaking design effort won't be the sort that leaves craters ;)

proppastie

Log Member
What I do not know about Polyprop, would fill a book....This I do know ....the cheap Polyprop rope they had at the airport for a while was horrible after about a year. It splintered and was stiff. Poor UV resistance I would guess. I also think it is very hard to glue because it is so slippery.

pictsidhe

What I do not know about Polyprop, would fill a book....This I do know ....the cheap Polyprop rope they had at the airport for a while was horrible after about a year. It splintered and was stiff. Poor UV resistance I would guess. I also think it is very hard to glue because it is so slippery.
Yes, yes and yes! There are ways to deal with all the issues you mention, a suitable book being a great start, as with many other technical issues. This usually works out quicker, cheaper and easier than doing your own research. I did buy the 1st edition, it likely has 90% of the info of the 2nd edition, but at 10% of the cost. 10 x 90% = 900%. My dollar teaches me much more if it isn't buying the bleeding edge.

pictsidhe

Has anybody mentioned the completely free goldmine that are all those bleeding edge NACA/NASA papers? Everyone here should have their own personal stash of pertinent papers.

davidjgall

Here's an interesting resource:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
IMHO pay sincere attention to the comment Dan Thomas said above. You can spend years going through all of that engineering text, and wake up one morning in a pool of tears to realize that you don't have enough energy, or enough years, left in you to make real use out of that technical education.

I mean no insult whatsoever to the engineers and 'almost engineers' here. I am honestly jealous of you all, and suitably embarrassed that I woulda-shoulda-coulda been able to run numbers on this kind of stuff - but never had the time/interest/dedication to do any formal engineering.

So FWIW learn enough from some of those books to be able to lay out a basic airplane, and be very careful of losing a year, or five years of building and flying, because you were doing the detail analysis.

This assumes that you want to build and fly as the larger goal. If you want to be a designer, and let someone else build and fly, then that's another story altogether.

Bigshu

I liked Chris Heintz's book "Flying on your own wings". I don't see Pazmany's books either. Is the pic your whole collection, or a subset?

wktaylor

Poke around in...

Dan Raymer's Aircraft Design & RDS Website... Raymer's Aircraft Design & RDS site

Sonja Englert Engineering Flight Test | Sonja Englert Engineering

Aircraft Technical Book Company Welcome to Aircraft Technical Book Company | Page 1 of 1

DAR Corporation DARcorporation | Aeronautical Engineering Software | Aircraft Design

FAA Aviation Handbooks and Manuals Aviation Handbooks & Manuals

WR-ALC Robins AFB USAF Tech Orders... open-to-public... Technical Orders

OC-ALC Tinker AFB USAF Tech Orders... open-to-public...Technical Orders

There used to be a thread started by Orion [a loonng time ago] for homebuilt and technical references... haven't seen it lately.

joesab

I agree no library is ever complete!

I'm surprised no one mentioned
How to Build Ultralights Manual by Herbert Beaujon

I know is old, over-simplied, and some point a few issues
but I still think is a cool book very old school, straight foward and
as fact based as the author could at that time

I heard some universities use it as introductory (super simplified) textbook before the modern and math heavy ones. Anyhow pretty fast way to get your hands dirty building (as long as it isn't your only source you should be fine LOL)