First a new Aileron quadrant to tie in with the final bellcrank layout, and a little bit of effort into getting weight out of it.
Now, good news for some of the lazy, useless, indolent, apathetic, inert, languorous, lethargic, listless, sleepy, sluggish, torpid sods out there who don't want to drill holes.
Because of the work on the bellcrank, I damaged the adjoining number 6 rib, so had to make a new one. I spent a whole 20 minutes of my incredibly precious time for you mentioned above, working out how to perfect matched holes for the non-linear curve to suit the pre-formed rib flange.
The parts arrived on my bench and it took me 2 minutes and 7 seconds to assemble it including stopping to have a swig from my bottle of drink (true story).
So as some of you requested, I present: matched hole ribs ...
The finish is superb, far better than the hand drilled, **** you to hell Laser Beam, the Arch Enemy of Luddites the World over!
Because of a well thought out complete system, I was quite pleased with myself that my 'clever hidden' counterweight system not only worked as planned, but relies on about 1kg/2.2lbs rather than the 2/4.4lbs or 3kgs/6.6lbs that many other craft use per side.
I'll show you and explain when it's all properly finished, but today I temporarily tested the setup using some lead for weight gotten from a local fishing shop melted into a mold (not the final method). Here's a shot of my temporary industrial foundry I set up today, and the most critical tip I can give to homebuilders: Wait until the Wife goes out! ...
I also believe my system is superior to this guy's 3kgs of lead shot in a bucket hanging on a rope, imagine the drag on it! He could at least put low drag aero tubing over the ropes ...
So after all my mucking around with testing weights with melted lead in my tubes, I went out and bought a bar of round brass and sized it up accordingly, with a thread at one end and made my Aileron link.
What I have done is made a long lever arm from the Aileron pivot and simply used the weight as part of my link to apply weight to the lever arm, killing 2 birds with one stone.
Also good news is the Ailerons are easily adjustable for both reflex and roll trim, and other stuff.
Having gotten the ailerons to a point I'm happy with, tomorrow I going to tighten everything up with the control system and actually start looking at skinning the wings.
Last week I did laser a bit of sheetmetal to make sure the 2D computer measurements match real life, they didn't and it was a real head spin for an hour or so until I realized what was going on. All good now.
And just for kicks, then there was a difference between the left and right aileron's angles that had me going until I remembered after 15 minutes of remeasuring everything twice I actually mounted the control stick 15mm (5/8") to the right of aircraft center! Ahhhh!
Might actually look something like a plane by next week.