My Experience With Mirocopter SCH-2A

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

anvegger

Supporting Member
First release the big left threaded nut at the top of the main shaft from the nut holding washer and after unscrew the nut. Take care to unscrew the nut clockwise while it is left threaded. Use the flat screwdriver for that task

Attachments

• MirocopterSI_12.jpg
    MirocopterSI_12.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1
  • MirocopterSI_13.jpg
    MirocopterSI_13.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
  • MirocopterSI_11.jpg
    MirocopterSI_11.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1

anvegger

Supporting Member
Pull out the collective and cyclic mechanism from the top of the main shaft . Drill out 6 stainless steel rivets from the assembly and take the old main collective tube out releasing the mechanism

Attachments

• MirocopterSI_14.jpg
    MirocopterSI_14.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MirocopterSI_15.jpg
    MirocopterSI_15.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
  • MirocopterSI_16.jpg
    MirocopterSI_16.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ServiceInstruction_05.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_05.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1

anvegger

Supporting Member
And here we have some challenges Instruction says First screw 2 M6 bolts to the aluminum insert at the bottom of the tube. Pull out collective and cyclic mechanism from the top of the tube and aluminum insert from the bottom of the tube. Well it was not quite simple . Drilled out another 6 stainless steel rivets from the aluminum insert - the bottom side of the tube. Then I used the metal rod to nock the aluminum insert out

Attachments

• ServiceInstruction_00.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_00.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_01.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_01.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_02.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_02.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_03.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_03.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_04.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_04.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0

anvegger

Supporting Member
As I said the Service Instructions are crystal clear And no misleading or unknown parts found in it Take U shape aluminum part supplied together with the tube. Align it with the top part of the old tube, clamp the assembly in a vise and drill 3 holes through the aluminum part. By doing so, you will copy exact position of top 3 holes to the aluminum part. Caution, upper part of old tube is where stainless steel part on the top of the main shaft was inserted.

Attachments

• MirocopterSI_17.jpg
    MirocopterSI_17.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MirocopterSI_18.jpg
    MirocopterSI_18.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MirocopterSI_19.jpg
    MirocopterSI_19.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0

Donald

I meant this inexpensive ultralight. Typically they use unhinged rotors which prevents flapping of the advancing blades so the aircraft runs out of forward cyclic.
I would have thought irrespective of the head design each lift producing advancing blade will flap up and retreating flap down in fwd flight, either in the head, grips or blade flex. In addition each blade may attempt to lead & lag dependent on flight condition.
I wonder if advancing and retreating blade collision avoidance contributes to the vne.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
I would have thought irrespective of the head design each lift producing advancing blade will flap up and retreating flap down in fwd flight, either in the head, grips or blade flex. In addition each blade may attempt to lead & lag dependent on flight condition.
I wonder if advancing and retreating blade collision avoidance contributes to the vne.
I see now from post 24 that apparently shows a two blade, hinged, instead of rigid like the Airscooter. So it may not get much flap back reaction at 30 mph like the simple rigid blades on the Airscooter.
I would investigate blade collision at zero g. (re: triple hinge R-22)

reo12

Supporting Member
Excellent tip - Thanks reo12 !! It is a good sign that everyone can get the helicopter in and out of the garage with a bit of know how :)
It would depend on some factors such as if the ceiling is finished and how wide the doorway is. I bought a Pterodactyl a couple years ago that had been housed in the same hanger since new from the early 80's. The king post is well over a foot taller than the height under the door header beam. Each of the winglets are nearly as bad. By lifting the nose of the plane high overhead - the king post and winglets end up rocking over to a lower height and the plane can be rolled in or out of the hanger. I've used other hangers with doors not wide enough for rolling a plane through - but making a cart for the plane allowed rolling through the door sideways.

anvegger

Supporting Member
Another challenge occurred when I was trying to get the aluminum insert inside of my new pipe. What a bum - the aluminum insert was deformed when it was riveted and unriveted and I spent good one hour filing that piece out to make the piece in. I did not want to apply too much pressure since the actual drilled holes we not quite accurate. Needed to adjust while inserted

Attachments

• ServiceInstruction_04.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_04.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_08.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_08.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_09.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_09.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_11.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_11.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: BJC

anvegger

Supporting Member
Filing aluminum part was fun and I was wondering if it would be required to do the same with stainless steel insert of the cyclic mechanism main insert sleeve But that was ease enough to do. However I did not pay any attention to the orientation of the both sleeves and did not read instructions while they ve been saying "Draw a line at the bottom part of the new tube which is 90°turned to the position of the upper holes and therefore rivets. Observe the old collective upper and lower holes and therefore rivets position for correct position of inserts in new collective tube."

Attachments

• ServiceInstruction_06.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_06.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_07.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_07.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ServiceInstruction_10.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_10.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
  • ServiceInstruction_13.jpg
    ServiceInstruction_13.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 0

BJC

Supporting Member
Welcome to the club of sub-standard kit parts.

My Glasair kit was molded just before Stoddard-Hamilton went bankrupt. None of the parts fit the way that they should, adding lots of extra work. But I did get almost everything, unlike others who lost their entire kit payment.

BJC