• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcadia

Hi everyone, I'm new here and it's my first post.
I've been thinking about building a plane for a couple of weeks now and, beeing VERY limited in budget, I tried to design a plane. As you can see, it's a very classic design , a kind of alchemy of a KR 2 and a Cassut.
I'm planning on designing it light-weight, VERY small ( if it's possible, around 3.20 meters) with good low-speed handling (using a wide profile and semi-rectangular wing like those 3 D fliers in the R/C world.
The fuselage would be built from wood and put in shape using the glassed-foam method used to build the KR's, and the KR method too for the wing.
Here are my questions :

Will a plane this small fly well (I don't care about speed, that's why I thought about wing with good efficiency at low-speeds) ?

What engine should I put on it ( I 'm looking for an economical solution here. A conversion perhaps ) ?

What are the minimum flight instruments necessary ?

Will I be able to build it ? (I have some experience with the wood case covered with foam construction in R/C planes but have limited access to elaborated tools such as a lathe etc...)

In what range of prices should I be prepared to ? (considering I'm a student and will have to work part-time)

As for the flying, I'm completing my license and, in my instructor point of view, have a "special skill" for smooth landings (NO i'm not boasting...believe me!)

Well, thank you for those who have read this far.
Now I have to tell you that I'm 17 year old but have access to a homebuilt construction site (for the problems I'll encounter) and it's a waist of time telling me I'm too young for this !

Thanks to everyone I'm not asking for a thorough review of my project, more for a guideline from those who are building or flying their homebuilt plane !
Good luck to all of you with the completion of your project !:D :D

Back