My best decision lately

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jan724

Hi everybody.
I am a retired danish airline captain (83 years). 3 years ago I decided to build my own aircraft which i had had a dream about for many years. My choice fell on a Kitfox S7 and that was a good choice. Just before the kit arrived my home burnt down totally ( a small handtool beeing charged during which it short circuited) and my workshop and all my tools were gone. Anyway I found a place where I could start to build while my home was rebuild. I bought all new tools which by the way is wonderfull. For the next two years I spent most of my free time building and I tell you, that it is a very great satisfaction to BUILD YOUR OWN AIRPLANE. I decided with myself that even if I never got to fly it, it was worth all the effort.
But now, after a lot of strenuos paper work, I am now flying around in my own airplane which is very satisfying for an old pilot.
So, my advice to those who think about kit building . JUST DO IT.

Pops

Supporting Member
Hi everybody.
I am a retired danish airline captain (83 years). 3 years ago I decided to build my own aircraft which i had had a dream about for many years. My choice fell on a Kitfox S7 and that was a good choice. Just before the kit arrived my home burnt down totally ( a small handtool beeing charged during which it short circuited) and my workshop and all my tools were gone. Anyway I found a place where I could start to build while my home was rebuild. I bought all new tools which by the way is wonderfull. For the next two years I spent most of my free time building and I tell you, that it is a very great satisfaction to BUILD YOUR OWN AIRPLANE. I decided with myself that even if I never got to fly it, it was worth all the effort.
But now, after a lot of strenuos paper work, I am now flying around in my own airplane which is very satisfying for an old pilot.
So, my advice to those who think about kit building . JUST DO IT.
Thank you, thank you. So I'm not as crazy as I thought. There is more like me. I'm 82 years old and still building. Not only do you get the fun of building , you get the fun of flying what you built. Win, Win.

Have fun.

Dan

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
One of my good friends was a Danish master machinist and glider pilot named Max Skovgaard, who was kind enough to rescue me from an off-airport landing in a homebuilt airplane 35 years ago. We became good friends, even though every time I saw him he tried to get me to drink that awful Akavit.

He would often remind me "You can always tell a Dane.... but you can't tell him much!"

Congratulations on completing your Kitfox, and may you have many many joyful flights with it!

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Thank you, thank you. So I'm not as crazy as I thought. There is more like me. I'm 82 years old and still building. Not only do you get the fun of building , you get the fun of flying what you built. Win, Win.

Have fun.

Dan

Pops,

You are only as old as you want to be. Some days I wake up and feel like I am 16 years old again and some times I get complacent with my exercise and feel like I am 100 or so it seems.

I have gained a little weight since I got out of Air Guard just over three years ago. Probably heavier than I have ever been. However, there is one thing that I know will be happening sooner than later. As I get closer and closer to finishing my airplane, I will be loosing all the weight I have gained so I can carry more in my plane.

In fact, I just received my new pair of running shoes in the mail last week. For me, its being in shape and around airplanes that keeps me motivated and burning the midnight oil. I think when you do what you truly love and can stay fit while doing it, will allow us to do it for as long as we want.

I can only pray that I reach your age someday. One thing is for certain and that is the older I get, the more I have an appreciation for those older than myself.

I helluva lot of things have to go right to make to 80 plus years. All the times I should have checked out of this life and by the Grace of God I am still alive.

A favorite song lyric of mine says, "aint no luck, I learned to duck"! You did too Pops!

In closing, I would like to add that my father in law who we call Pop, just turned 80 in August. That man can still work like he is 20 years old.

Forever Young,

Yellowhammer

Pops

Supporting Member
Pops,

You are only as old as you want to be. Some days I wake up and feel like I am 16 years old again and some times I get complacent with my exercise and feel like I am 100 or so it seems.

I have gained a little weight since I got out of Air Guard just over three years ago. Probably heavier than I have ever been. However, there is one thing that I know will be happening sooner than later. As I get closer and closer to finishing my airplane, I will be loosing all the weight I have gained so I can carry more in my plane.

In fact, I just received my new pair of running shoes in the mail last week. For me, its being in shape and around airplanes that keeps me motivated and burning the midnight oil. I think when you do what you truly love and can stay fit while doing it, will allow us to do it for as long as we want.

I can only pray that I reach your age someday. One thing is for certain and that is the older I get, the more I have an appreciation for those older than myself.

I helluva lot of things have to go right to make to 80 plus years. All the times I should have checked out of this life and by the Grace of God I am still alive.

A favorite song lyric of mine says, "aint no luck, I learned to duck"! You did too Pops!

In closing, I would like to add that my father in law who we call Pop, just turned 80 in August. That man can still work like he is 20 years old.

Forever Young,

Yellowhammer
I feel young most of the time but I have pains from old injuries. I need to learn to duck better. Came close to death many times in my life. Many bones broken, bolted together and bone graphs in right arm and left leg. 10 concussions . When working as a high rigger setting building steel, building smoke stacks, and free climbed radio and tv towers when young you have a close call about every 4 months on average. Survived a mid-air airplane crash. Head-on auto crash, etc, etc.
Lots of my fellow workers got killed. At the time during the Vietnam war, what we were doing was far more dangerious for every hour on the job than being in the war.

I laugh when I hear Cops say they have a dangerious job. They have no idea.

Last edited:

PMD

I love this: at only 73 you guys make me feel like a kid again.

Just to put things into perspective, though: 32 years ago I came back from a project overseas and met a particularly cantankerous old guy (69) at his oil refinery where I was asked to go and sort out some process equipment. He became a very close friend and my mentor in the downstream side of the lube oil biz, but moreso my skiing partner - until he was 95. We celebrated his 100th this March, but he has slowed down a fair bit. IMHO the secret is to do exactly what you guys are doing: keep fit and keep working.

That said: I just got back from one job way up in the Athabasca Oil Sands (SAGD project) and will jump into the semi to take a process plant 400 miles away and spend another week chasing 20/30 YOs around climbed structures.

robertl

Pops,

Forever Young,

Yellowhammer
For good health and weight loss I started KETO and lost 20 lbs in two months with no exercise. That was for my flight to the Cessna 150/152 fly-in, in Clinton, Iowa this past July. I needed the extra weight capacity to carry camping gear and full fuel.
Bob, just turned 76

Daleandee

For good health and weight loss I started KETO and lost 20 lbs in two months with no exercise. That was for my flight to the Cessna 150/152 fly-in, in Clinton, Iowa this past July. I needed the extra weight capacity to carry camping gear and full fuel.
Bob, just turned 76

Good deal on the weight loss! Losing weight without exercise? Count me in! ;)

BTW ... a little birdie said that there is a Fly-in this Saturday (10/08/2022) at Woodward Field (CDN). Any truth to the rumor?

robertl

Good deal on the weight loss! Losing weight without exercise? Count me in! ;)

BTW ... a little birdie said that there is a Fly-in this Saturday (10/08/2022) at Woodward Field (CDN). Any truth to the rumor?
Hi Dale, sorry about the late reply, grand daughter's 1st birthday today. Yes, the Vintage group was at Camden this week end, some of them flew to 58j for the low country boil. Jamie and Bobby Jonte flew the T 6 and I flew our C 150, Blue Thunder. I didn't get to talk to many of the pilots, I had to get back to KCDN, there was a student waiting for the 150. I only heard about the Timmonsville, Fly Out, as they call it, at the last minute but the weather was good so I said, heck yeah, flying AND food !
Bob

Last edited:

Daleandee

Hi Dale, sorry about the late reply, grand daughter's 1st birthday today. Yes, the Vintage group was at Camden this week end, some of them flew to 58j for the low country boil. Jamie and Bobby Jonte flew the T 6 and I flew our C 150, Blue Thunder. I didn't get to talk to many of the pilots, I had to get back to KCDN, there was a student waiting for the 150. I only heard about the Timmonsville, Fly Out, as they call it, at the last minute but the weather was good so I said, heck yeah, flying AND food !
Bob

Thanks for the reply. I considered it but there were some other things that got in the way. A hangar that I have at a nearby airport needed some attention after the hurricane so I spent much longer than anticipated fixing a door and replacing shingles on the roof. It was a beautiful day to fly and I'm glad you got to enjoy it.

I did get some airtime last evening so my weekend wasn't a total wash ...