My 13B engine configuration (tentative)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dwalker

I feel like I should know better but here it goes- the following is the list of parts that I either currently have or in the process of acquiring to build up the 13B-T for my Long-EZ.

Engine-
13B Series 5 semi-P-Port side housings, studded, P-Port tubes are steel and the intake side O-ringed to prevent coolant leaking or being pressurized.
13B Series 6 Ported rotor housings
Renesis rotors, cut for "RX7" 13B apex seals, balanced
Renesis E-shaft, counterweight, and front stack, balanced
Goopy Performance Apex seals
Cryo treated front and rear stationary gears
Cryo treated corner and side seals

Fabricated intake manifold
Billet throttle body
Intercooler
T4 turbocharger
Fabricated 321 Stainless exhaust manifold
Manual waste gate

AEM Infinity ECU
AEM CD7 display
AEM wideband controller
redundant 320lph fuel pumps
Aeromotive AFPR
IGN-A1 ignition coils (coil per plug)

Formula Car (for lack of a better name) radiator cores from Ron Davis
Twin oil coolers

This is the "bare bones" of the system. I will go into more detail when I can.

dwalker

So to put some context to the parts, now that I have a few minutes and am winding down, I can share my thought process here.

First, I am using the Semi-P-Port irons because I have them and they are exceedingly well done. They were done for a race engine that never happened, and *should* work well in this application. The Renesis rotors,e-shaft,etc. are lighter than the Series 6 (FD3S) rotors normally used. These will be trued, balanced, and then coated- a thermal barrier coat on the rotor faces and a dry film lubricant on the sides. The e-shaft will be new OEM. The rotor housings are pretty standard Series 6 housings with a light port done to the exhaust. Apex seals will be from my friends at Goopy performance and are exceedingly durable. They will not say they are unbreakable, but I have really really tried and the best I could do is warp one. Temperature Processing in Colorado will cryo the wear parts- side and corner seals- as well as the stationary gears, and all springs will be new OEM. The engine is already set up with studs to hold it together. As of this moment I have all of the engine components on hand, and will be sending the rotating assembly and other bits out for machine work etc. soon.

I will fabricate an aluminum intake manifold and plenum as well as the intercooler piping, intercooler, turbo manifold, etc. as needed. The turbo will be a T4 variant, non-ball bearing with both water and oil cooled CHRA. I am exploring the option to use a VATN turbo to maintain efficiency at higher altitudes, which will prevent the turbo from overspeeding and prolong its life. I have most of the bits on hand to build the intake manifold including the injector bungs, along with the intercooler piping and most of the stainless steel bits to fabricate the turbo manifold, but will wait until I have a false firewall available to do a mock up before buying the intercooler core and welding it up.

To control the engine I am turning to AEM and the Infinity EMS. Over the last couple of decades I have worked with AEM a lot, including beta testing multiple race and platform specific ECUs. I will use the canbus to link to a CD7 display, which can be configured to show any parameter the ECU sees, along with those derived from math functions etc., as well as data from its own internal and external sensors. An AEM wideband 02 sensor will be used along with two EGT's. The wiring harness will be constructed using Tefzel wire and new connectors, with DTM harness connectors and AMP/Tyco injector plugs etc. Power for the ECU/engine systems will be from the main battery on its own bus.

At this point I am leaning towards the Marcotte PSRU, as itis the only one available with the 2.4 ratio I want. I would LOVE to use Neil Ungers PSRU, and have considered buying parts from him and constructing my own 2.8 PSRU.

To try and make the most of space and "packaging", dual rads and dual oil coolers will be used, and very likely an electric water pump will be used as well. The oil coolers and rads will be along the lines of those used in the Pro Formula Mazda cars, from Ron Davis. I have read about all sorts of other solutions, but this is the way I think I will go,