• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mustang II/Thorp S-18 folding wing option info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

I am exploring the idea of implimenting an aft folding wing similar to what is available for the Thorp S-18, Mustang II and a bunch of others.

Video of foling Mustang II wing below:

I am particlarly interested in this style of folding wing. It appears to be very useful in that it is always supported(being hinged) on one end so one person can easily do everything themselves with minimal effort and worry about dropping an edge, etc. during handling. I consider the removable wing option far less useful as it really requires two people to handle the process. I have read a bunch of material and opinions on the viability of folding wings, and there are many valid points. There seem to be many levels or degrees of wing stowage/transportability for airplanes. My focus is more with a system that allows wing folding on every flight, not just a once a year seasonal trip to and from the airport for the winter. In some places of the country, hanger space is nearly impossible to get. Waiting lists are open ended and can go on open ended for many years. I've seen hanger rents(for small planes!) go for $800/month and up. It's no suprise that some people have reluctantly been interested in truely convenient folding wings for transport. There are good oppuntunities for people who have folding wing planes to share the hanger space of people who are lucky enough to already have a hanger space. Two planes will not fit, but a plane with folded wings (7'6" wide by 19' long) can easily fit along side. In my area, this appears to be one of the few viable options. Rolling a plane in and out of an enclosed 8.5' x 20-24ft car trailer every time would not be preferable to me, although it would certainly fit easily and not be too difficult. According to all the airports in a 50 mile radius of me(and well beyond I'm sure) the waiting lists for hangers is expected to be 5 years minimum, and yes I am currently on several waiting lists. I can think of about a dozen people though that would be thrilled to share hanger rents at about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total hanger rent(as the plane would be taking up such miniman space of the hanger), and I could move in right away, no problem. The airports have no problems with two active planes in one hanger, so I have to consider this as being a potential logistical necessity. Also when traveling, which I hope to do some of, I understand that many airstrips will have inside hanger room available for a plane that measures only 7'6" x 19' x 5'6"(taildragger). I have spoken with a Mustang II pilot a while back with the folding wing option and he has had great luck hangering his plane at airports when traveling (many time for free) when there is no room available for a "full sized" plane, and would be charged for it if it was available. As I will building a wood/composite airplane, inside hanger space when away is a fairly big deal to me. Anyway that's where I'm coming from.

fold2.JPG

fold3.JPG

fold4.JPG

Above is the folding wing option on the mustang II. These seem to be fairly common and proven setups. I know the Whitman Tailwind, the Zodiac 701, the Thorp T-18/S-18, among many others appear to use the same basic folding system. I am interested in feedback from any one who has experience with folding wings or generally any opinions on the subject. I am searching for good reeference material, articles, etc detailing the specifics of the designs.

If starting from scratch, is there a particular folding(back) wing design for a low wing plane that works better/more user friendly then others for a starting point? Obviously, a well designed system needs to handle the control linkages well for the aileron,flaps(likely split flaps in my case), the ease of conneting/disconnecting the main attach bolts, leaving an aerodynamically clean joint of the assembly when connected, etc.

I am interested in any info on the subject:).

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Back