Music and homebuilders

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Jun 7, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2018 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

From Stuart’s right angle drill thread.
    I read the above just after spending a few minutes at the piano. We’ve had numerous comments about listening to music on the radio while working in the shop. People who design airplanes are creative, and creative people frequently play musical instruments.

So, do you play a musical instrument or two?

Please tell us.

BJC

2. Jun 7, 2018 #2

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

I'm great with a CD player, a turntable, and iTunes. If you mean me making a "joyful noise", the neighbors call the cops when I try.....even singing...(that is when the Wife calls the cops.....).

No one has made the proper bucket yet for me (to carry a tune)....and NO, you will not see me on America's got talent......I have a ton of respect for those who are accomplished at making music and you have my attention if you play. I just can't generate anything that avoids the description of "howling, gnashing and screaming."

Derswede

3. Jun 8, 2018 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I tell people that I sing like a cat being disembowelled.
    Making pleasant noises isn't in my personal skill set. I did manage to stumble half way through 'fur elise' on the piano as a kid before losing interest.

4. Jun 8, 2018 #4

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

About 12 years ago I taught myself to play the flute.
    I have built a 25 string psaltery.
    Lately I have been working on melodic and blues harmonica.

DSCN5424.jpg

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2018 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

I took a required music class in the 8th grade. Teacher told me she would give me a D- for effort. To pass the class I had to get up before the class and sing. I don't care for music, (Sound pressure waves at a mathematical
    scale). Can do without it. I am incapable of learning to play a musical instrument. Like I tell my wife, "In some ways I am untrainable".

6. Jun 8, 2018 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I'm an expert level musician, my instrument is called the "radio" and when properly tuned and operated it fills my hangar with incredible electric blues, jazz, classic rock and other artistic sounds.

Because I'm such an expert, I occasionally compose other related musical sounds and mix them into the audible environment. These unique sounds include metallic wrenches being thrown across the hangar, pneumatic drill howling, and on certain occasions (such as drilling at the wrong location) I have been known to add rather spirited vocal talent into the mix.

7. Jun 8, 2018 #7

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Folks who can play instruments well ... That is near magic.

Me? I am doing OK when I can play the stereo without hurting myself.

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  8. Jun 8, 2018 #8

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Musical talent skipped me. My brother played saxophone and marched; my sister can pick up almost any instrument and play at least something basic with it. I can pull up Amazon music and play a playlist over Bluetooth.

9. Jun 8, 2018 #9

slevair

slevair

slevair

I played the piano for many years, including my brother's wedding, until a crush injury on my right hand made it nearly impossible to play. Also played trumpet in the school band.

10. Jun 8, 2018 #10

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I play guitar, banjo and ukulele. I don't consider myself a good player but I do enjoy it. I love the trumpet because I love jazz but I've never attempted to learn it.

My favorite artist is probably Louis Prima but I can still appreciate all types.

I don't normally listen to music though. I work 50-80 hours a week sometimes and after a couple decades of music I've moved to podcasts. I enjoy learning and education while I work these days.

Cool thread by the way.

11. Jun 8, 2018 #11

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I took accordion lessons as a kid.

Subsequently, I was told, "the definition of a gentleman is someone who CAN play the accordion, but doesn't." I have since tried to live up to that.

Went to the store on the way back from a lesson, once, leaving the accordion in plain view in the back seat. Came back to the car and found the car had been broken into. The perp left three more accordions on the seat.

Do you know the difference between at concertina and an accordion? The accordion burns longer.

Ron Wanttaja

12. Jun 8, 2018 #12

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

So, which follows the other? I'd really like to be more creative. Does it mean if I start playing my guitar again after all these years of non-use I'll become more creative? Darn....I didn't think so. :depressed

Lynn

13. Jun 8, 2018 #13

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Like Scrapper I play guitar and have since I was about 12... that's also when I refinished my first acoustic, an old Epi Texan. I l also prefer jazz when working in my shop and lots of Steely Dan. I had to take my plane off the bench while I finished this copy of a 1958 Gibson Korina Flying V... I built it from the original plans and even found the 'Patent Applied For' 5 coil Humbucker pickups.... so pretty much music and guitar building tops my list and wooden airplanes a close second... I listen to lots of classical too... rock and roll left my life with cassette tapes, cannot listen to it but Z Z Top? Definitely!

IMG_1982.JPG IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1984.JPG

For you guitarists notice the fret board dots are very subtle, they actual match the korina body and are made of recycled jade....

delta likes this.
  14. Jun 8, 2018 #14

Pops

Pops

Pops

Local friend of mine that lives about one mile away builds the most beautiful violins that you ever saw. Along with a most beautiful price. He has built over 50 at this time. An artist without any doubt. He was schooled by an old violin maker before he died. If you want on of his violins, you will be on a long waiting list.

15. Jun 8, 2018 #15

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

I played the guitar in some rather rowdy bars on the West Coast while I was going thru college. Once I managed to put a .22 thru the ring finger on the left hand which really slowed my guitar playing. Have since worked around the gimpy ring finger and played in a bar in the Marshall Islands with a guy who was the opener for Don Ho in Hawaii. Still have 4 guitars hanging around and a Baldwin vertical classic piano. I always have some music on in the shop and it varies from Willie Nelson to Bach. Especially like the guitar work of Charlie Byrd. Was an award winning singer until Puberty hit. All tunes that occur in my head either come out on the piano or the guitar.
    I now spend more time with the TIG welder than I do with the guitar... Shame...

16. Jun 8, 2018 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

Warning-- Somewhat off topic.

Talking of rawdy bars--- My older sister got married when I was 12 years old in 1952. Her husband drove a delivery truck for a tobacco, candy, etc, company. Once a week he delivered to the southern part of WV in the coal camps honky-tonk bars. I went with him ONE time when I was 12 years old. We left Charleston, WV in the truck at 4:30 AM and got back at about mid-night that night. Most of the bars had no windows or they were painted black. I was afraid to go into the first one, but my brother-in law said we are bringing the goodies so we will be safe. Walked through the door and had to stop the let your eyes adjust to the darkness, then you could see people at the bar and tables and then see all the bullet holes all over the walls like there had been a war inside. Couldn't wait until we got all the goodies carried inside and got back to the truck. Everywhere we stopped were about the same that day. Couldn't pay me enough to go in one of those bars on a Saturday night.
    My mother (Irish) was one of 17 children, and about 12 were boys. Several of her older brothers were coal miners in the southern WV, (War, WV area). They were all 6' 4' to 6' 6" X 250 lbs of muscle and as mean as big. The coal company goons were afraid of them. They also made moon-shine on the side to have some real money beside the coal company scrip. They were in the coal mine wars in the 1920's. ( look it up and get an education) They faced coal company machine guns mounted on coal cars. One was pardoned by the Governor for murder after the end of the war, and he spent the rest of his life in law enforcement. The U.S. Government used 3 aircraft and dropped bombs on the coal miners at Blair Mountain. One of the pilots was famous, anyone know who he was?
    I grew up with my uncles talking about the coal mine war of the 1920's.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    cheapracer likes this.
  17. Jun 8, 2018 #17

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

I learned to play guitar when I was younger. I used lawn mowing money in 7th grade to buy my first Sigma. My brother still has it to this day, since he “acquired” it when I left for the Navy. Then he went and ruined it by wiring backwards for a left-hander. Big dope. :lick:

Nowadays, I play iTunes and Pandora. I dig a lot of different kinds of music. It’s probably odd for a 50yo guy to dig EDM as much as I do (electronic dance music for the uninitiated), but its repetition is great when you’re doing repetitive tasks like driving a lot of rivets. Otherwise I find myself drawn to alt-type artists like Lana del Rey, Blue October, Imagine Dragons, and the like, but love to mix in some Johnny Cash, Delta Rae, and other sorts of Americana. I’m sort of an over aged millennial, I guess.

18. Jun 8, 2018 #18

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Call you Herbie Hancock? Lol

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  19. Jun 8, 2018 #19

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

when I was a kid, the teacher lined us all up and made all sing or try to. Before long, I was sussed and bade to join the rest of the voiceless at the wall. He then formed a choir and gave us all a second chance. We opened our mouths and made noises; he paused us and said "there is a crow amongst us" and pointed at me, so i was immediately exited stage left, thus ending my musical career. I only sing in the shower or the car, where no-one else can hear. I cannot, despite trying, play anything harder than a single drum.

20. Jun 8, 2018 #20

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Ah but then there's 'Celtic Woman'.... now THAT is music... some heaven on earth...