Museums

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Gregory Perkins

I dont think many of the museums allow photos but if a photographer were to visit them and photograph all the planes, I would gladly pay for a memory stick full of photos taken in the museums. Dont forget the
EAA museums in Florida and Oskosh though I am very mad that they have been removing many small experimental and UL planes. The fact is there are many museums I will never be able to visit and the only
way I could appreciate would be through photos.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I dont think many of the museums allow photos but if a photographer were to visit them and photograph all the planes, I would gladly pay for a memory stick full of photos taken in the museums.
About 2,000 photos of the USAF Museum here Photos

Dont forget the EAA museums in Florida and Oskosh though I am very mad that they have been removing many small experimental and UL planes.
Agree. Hopefully, the expansion of the EAA museum will allow more of the iconic homebuilts to be displayed.

AFAIK, there was no connection between the EAA, except for local chapter member participation, and the Florida Air Museum. Anyone with first hand knowledge, please confirm or correct.

Some background here: Florida Air Museum's Heritage - Florida Air Museum

The fact is there are many museums I will never be able to visit and the only
way I could appreciate would be through photos.
About 2,000 photos of the USAF Museum here Photos

Lots of photos from NMNA, and others, too.

BJC

Richard Roller

Don’t see many flying Twin Bonanzas. That one looks nice, which is what I expect, considering where it is. Have a neighbor restoring one.

Do they still have the StaggerWing with the covering removed on the port side?

BJC
I used to work on T-bones and Queenairs. Both planes were built like tanks!

Richard Roller

World War one museum in Kansas City. Also the recently opened Kelch aviation museum in Brodhead, WI. It's on the airport, c37.

Daleandee

We have family that live in Nampa Idaho and several years ago I went with my father-in-law to the Warhawk Air Museum there. It is quite large and also very impressive. I came away from there with an even more immense respect for the character & courage of those that went forth to fight the battles of our nation:

The site has a link to a virtual tour. You can zoom in and out and move around in the aisles: The Warhawk Air Museum

Last edited:

ddsrph

Naval Air Museum in Pensacola is a great museum also. We go down every year to spend a few days at the Navy Lodge directly across from museum. They have the fixtures and plaques from one of my favorite Navy officers clubs, Naval Air station Cubi Point, Philippines. I have spent many hours in that club.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Naval Air Museum in Pensacola is a great museum also. We go down every year to spend a few days at the Navy Lodge directly across from museum. They have the fixtures and plaques from one of my favorite Navy officers clubs, Naval Air station Cubi Point, Philippines. I have spent many hours in that club.
My friend / neighbor (RIP) did lots of work for the NMNA, and was on a first name basis with all their senior staff. It was fun to go there with him on an aircraft relocation projects, and have free run of the ramp and restoration shop. At lunch one day in the “relocated” Cubi Point OC, I looked around and found his name / call sign, on two plaques. Lots of good stories from his 35 year career, starting at age 17 as a HS dropout, and ending as a CAGMO.

The library there is a great resource for anyone wanting to do some research, but I suspect that they are budget-limited, just as the restoration shop (and, BTW, the Air Force Museum’s restoration shop) are budget-limited. Not to mention the declining population with relevant experience.

See
And

1629725039419.jpeg

BJC

Last edited:

CAVU Mark

In San Diego, the U.S.S. Midway and the San Diego Air and Space Museum (Balboa Park and Gillespie Field Annex). Nearby in Ramona is the Classic Rotors Museum, where they did have a flying H-21.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Harrisburg Pennsylvania. Has a Spratt and a P-61 on the gear. WELCOME TO THE MID-ATLANTIC AIR MUSEUM
I love going to the big military reenactment at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum each June. Like being on a huge movie set of Tori,Tori, Tori. Have set behind the cameras with actors doing WW-2 movie clips, etc, etc. My neighbor buys and sells WW-2 airplane parts and projects. Has a very nice 1943 Ford jeep. We took a WW-2 Bi-cycle and I rode it around every day and had a great time. I would get up early in the morning and be out watching the German Army do the marching early in the morning before chow.
They have a French village built and the U.S. and Germans have big battle each day.
Has anyone else been there ?

Last edited: