Museums

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Well, I did not see a "Musesum" thread, so I thought I'd start one. Just got back from a business trip out in Alabama, and decided that since I was close to Tullahoma, I would go out to the StaggerWing/Beechcraft museum there. I knew Louise Thaden, and my father was one of Beech's top sales guys, so I do have a soft spot for Beechcrafts. Quite an impressive place and lots of beautiful aircraft there. We were building a Mystery S racer when my father died. It is hanging up in some barn in GA, last I heard. Am posting some of the photos of the visit. To keep with the core of this website, there is a shot of LionHeart, a homebuilt Staggerwing.

One humerous aside, while on my trip, I noted a license tag on a car that was passing me. It read "IFLY RV8". Bad weather kept me on the ground this trip, but hope to visit again. They have a major Beech event coming up in October as well, the 13-16th. Textron will even have a Cessna there!

Derswede

Attachments

BJC

Don’t see many flying Twin Bonanzas. That one looks nice, which is what I expect, considering where it is. Have a neighbor restoring one.

Do they still have the StaggerWing with the covering removed on the port side?

BJC

Pops

Log Member
Don’t see many flying Twin Bonanzas. That one looks nice, which is what I expect, considering where it is. Have a neighbor restoring one.

Do they still have the StaggerWing with the covering removed on the port side?

BJC
Good friend of mine restored his father's twin Bonanza that his father bought new in 1966. New everything. Engines, props, interior, instrument panel. Skins on the tails, etc. Was the white and yellow. Original paint just needed touched up and buffed. Looked factory new. He would let me fly it once in a while. Very nice. Made a low pass down our runway to check for deers one day :)

Last edited:

Derswede

A friend has his Travelaire based out of a 2300’ grass strip. Still a great flying plane, it has no trouble getting in/out of that strip.

Aesquire

Mobile Alabama Battleship museum!

they moved the Submarine onto dry land when the Hurricane waves and flooding receded, and some planes got damaged but they've got an A-12!!!!!! Pointy!

I visited there on a trip with a female friend who was great at perusing the free tourist stuff from "Welcome to X rest stops". Got a deal on the room ( Battleship Motel ) on impulse, arrived at 3am, and in the morning, I stepped out for morning addiction break & so she could shower, lit a cigarette, sipped my Coke, and realized "There's a Freaking Battleship Right There!" that we'd missed in the dark.

Well worth a visit.

TFF

I would love a T-Bone. I would not like trying to find engine parts. It’s only flaw.

Rhino

Well, I did not see a "Musesum" thread, so I thought I'd start one. Just got back from a business trip out in Alabama, and decided that since I was close to Tullahoma, I would go out to the StaggerWing/Beechcraft museum there...
Small world. I live next door to it.

That was fun to visit many years ago. Only problem; I was there in the middle of the summer, and it was hot in the battleship.
I see that hasn't changed in the 40 years since I was there.

I rather like the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. But then, I'm biased having had a career in the Air Force. Very fond of the Smithsonian too.

Derswede

Rhino, the next time I am out there, I will wave. From the front door, to the left or to the right? Donating some items to the museum, so "I'll be back".

Rhino

Well, the front door isn't exactly on the 'front' of the museum building, so behind, to the west. The Parrish house (John owns the museum) is immediately adjacent to the west side of the museum buildings , and I'm in the airpark on the other side of that. You can see my hangar from the museum driveway, and through the trees, my house. You can't really see the other houses in the airpark from there because so far I'm the only one who's cleared the tree line in between.

Derswede

Then I saw your house. Nice place and beautiful setting! Do they let you go up and harrass any of the boys next door? ("Ultralight takes on F-18! Film at 11!) Got there early and had the place to myself, Mrs. Sherry (? Hope I got that right!) and the Hound of the Baskervilles, Loci. Wonderful day. When I was leaving, a couple of gals came in with a horde of kids...the type that want to crawl into cockpits and play with knobs. Mrs. Sherry did a wonderful job of getting the kids to the point that they could look, but not touch. I got the same sermon earlier, but after having cleaned of many a radial engined airplane's belly of oil and having polished an unknown number of prop blades, I am trainable.

Don't know if John would remember my father, he and Dub Yarborough were friends. Father's name was Richard (Dick) Austin. We did Monocoupes.

AS for the museum, just "Go visit!"

Derswede

Daleandee

Recently got to visit Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte NC and see the "Miracle on the Hudson" plane. I understand it is no longer on display but should be again in 2022.

Yet probably the most memorable museum I have ever visited that told some of the most amazing stories I've ever heard was this one:
1629598597565.png

Home

If you get an opportunity to visit here you should. There are a number of great planes to see!

Vigilant1

+1 on the USS Alabama museum in Mobile. I dragged my daughter there about 20 years ago when she was 10, and she loved it. The USS Drum (WW II Gato-class attack sub ) was her favorite part. Very well done.

I highly recommend the National WW II Museum in New Orleans (formerly the D-Day Museum). Yes, many great planes and other artifacts. But, it's not primarily about the hardware. The displays, videos, etc tell stories of the people who were there-- on the home front and every major theater of combat. It is an educational, moving, emotionally exhausting day. I thought it was exceptionally well done. Bring a young relative or friend and share some history.

Home

Pops

Log Member
Recently got to visit Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte NC and see the "Miracle on the Hudson" plane. I understand it is no longer on display but should be again in 2022.

Yet probably the most memorable museum I have ever visited that told some of the most amazing stories I've ever heard was this one:
View attachment 114619

Home

If you get an opportunity to visit here you should. There are a number of great planes to see!
Next to the Air Force Museum in Ohio, the Eighth Air Force is second. Very, Very good.
Did you try shooting the enemy airplanes from the Bomber ? My neighbor beat me.

mcrae0104

Log Member
For those in flyover country, the SAC Museum (between Lincoln and Omaha) is well worth a visit. The South Dakota Air & Space museum is good too (don’t miss the missile silo tour).

I’ll also second the USS Alabama & Drum. I still remember them from a visit 35 years ago. As long as we’re including ships in an air museum thread, the USS Missouri (Pearl Harbor) is unforgettable, and it’s a two-fer with the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum nearby. An aviation nut could spend all day at the USS Midway (San Diego) without getting bored, as they also have a large number of naval aircraft on display.

Last edited:

Rhino

...As long as we’re including ships in an air museum thread, the USS Missouri (Pearl Harbor) is unforgettable, and it’s a two-fer with the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum nearby...
We took a scripted day trip to Oahu from the Big Island, so we didn't get to see the Aviation Museum, but the Missouri was great. Major history there, and I've always been a WWII history nut.

Aesquire

+++ New Orleans

Dayton is great, but you'd expect that.

SAC museum is worth it too. Cabin/condo rental in the park and a great hotel/restaurant makes it underated.

The North Carolina is another East Coast battleship worth a stop.

The Henry Ford museum only has a couple of airplanes. But it's worth a day, get there for opening and plan dinner for when they kick everyone out. You'll miss lunch so have a good breakfast. Unfortunately the Wright bros bicycle shop wasn't very exciting but the main building... People look at me funny when I praise the radiators they use. Wrapped around the support pillars... Engineering nerds will get it.