• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

multiple geared motor unit- "single engine"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13brv3

Supporting Member
Greetings,

One day I'd like to build an electric aircraft. Right now, the ultralight rules don't seem favorable for electric power. LSA has a specific statement that requires a single reciprocating engine, so no electric power there. That leave Experimental Amateur Built as the first viable option.

I've seen some motor solutions that were actually multiple motors assembled in a power unit, where the motors are geared together to turn one prop. Would this allow a single engine rated pilot to fly it, or would it get classified as a multi-engine? I sort of suspect this would depend on who you ask, and it might be safer NOT to ask. You could argue it either way I suppose.

I'm wondering if a multi-motor power unit would make sense. Smaller motors are easier to get, and it would add some redundancy if a motor controller failed. It might allow easier scaling of power by simple adding as many motors as needed. Just kinda thinking right now...

Thanks,
Rusty

Back