Multicopters, drones, in the news

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter
It will be interesting to find out if the two that were arrested were malicious or just extremely stupid.
If the perp is that stupid, the treatment should be the same as if it were a malicious act. It is time to stop finding excuses for an individual’s behavior that has adversely affected others. If we fail to do so, we risk the loss of sport flying privileges in the USA.

BJC

FritzW

Log Member
It'll be interesting to see what this does to RC aircraft rules around the world. We can't enforce the rules we already have so we'll just have to make more rules :gig:

I was under the impression that drones RTH after a few seconds of signal loss? Or is that just the better ones?
I was talking about the "2.4 GHz" part. In the U.S. we use 5GHz also. But 2.4 and 5 GHz (WiFi) controlled drones are pretty much "toy" level (but toys that are very capable of doing something like Gatwick). In the original article the police called them "industrial specification" drones. I'm not sure what they mean by "industrial specification" but I think it rules out WiFi control. Jamming the 2.4 GHz WiFi band wouldn't effect the drone, it would only mess up the people in the terminal who were checking their email.

Ref. "RTH": Even low end "toy" drones have RTH. Without RTH their life expectancy would be about 1 flight ;) Depending on the software and setup the "Home" in RTH can be the takeoff point, a waypoint or the last know location of the controller.

But, unless the idiots were standing next to the fence, the Gatwick drones were under autonomous (GPS) control. If you jam the GPS signals it can't RTH and either lands right there or falls out of the sky. ...but jamming GPS signals at a busy airport has it's obvious drawbacks.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
If the perp is that stupid, the treatment should be the same as if it were a malicious act.

BJC
Agreed. But it could effect the way the future rules get written due to public opinion. Stupid = just more regulation/license. Malicious might = outright bans.

Neither will be as effective as the authors think they will be.

DJI can track DJI products,
Learned something. I was under the mistaken impression that the geofencing was a hard limit in the software, not just an 'idiot light' kind of warning.

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
I was under the mistaken impression that the geofencing was a hard limit in the software, not just an 'idiot light' kind of warning.
Your not mistaken. Geofencing can be a hard limit or a soft limit or it can turned off. It depends on the software your using. On the software I use you have to setup your own geofence limits and turn geofencing on. Even then when you hit a limit the drone stops, hovers and the override button starts flashing. You can tap the override button and keep going. Drone geofencing is more about keeping you from running out of battery before you get home then keeping you out of places you shouldn't be in.

DJI is much stricter (when your using DJI software). AFAIK you can't even start the motors if your in a "No Drone Zone". I don't like DJI's for that reason but I suppose they didn't want to be the drone of choice for idiots who want to do stupid stuff. ...so kids who want to fly their drones in the school gym that's too close to the White House or an airport buy cheap GPS jammers on ebay and fly anyway.

EDIT: If you use the software that comes with most "toy" level drones all of your, very detailed, flight data is uploaded to the manufacturers website.

lr27

The jamming discussion made me think that perhaps a directional signal could be used. Dig up one of those obsolete, very large satellite dishes and put an electric arc at the focus. I admit I don't really know if that would be a strong enough signal, but you wouldn't have to worry about what band. Even if you used something more sophisticated, a dish would reduce the required strength of the transmitter and cut down on the affected volume. Legality is another issue, of course.

It seems odd that the users of GPS jammers, etc. don't just use aluminum foil or something.

Daleandee

Probably neither according to the latest uppdate. Bothhave been released without charge.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46665615
Interesting info from that article:

Authorities finally regained control over the airfield early on Friday after the Army deployed unidentified military technology.
It is believed that the Israeli-developed Drone Dome system, which can jam communications between the drone and its operator, was used.
Seems they have no idea who did the deed ...

Dale
N319WF

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.

pictsidhe

I'm supposed to be flying out of Heathrow on Friday. Hopefully they'll have finished dicking around by then.

Tiger Tim

Kind of tangentially related but Canada will be requiring pilot licensing and equipment registration (with associated fees) for any RC flying machine over 1/2 pound starting this June.

BJC

HBA Supporter

flyinut

TFR for drones:

BJC