Quantcast

Moyes tempest electric conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
I've also been following the guy building the 'Aluminium Dragon', with a view of building a better (and maybe lighter) wing
My ignorance at the design phase many years ago has not produced a lighter aluminum wing than the original wood wing. Perhaps a professional stress man could have done it....The original wing was 75-80 lb....Mine will be at least 140 lb. I will let you know when I finish the fix I am working on. ....I think my concept is valid,....But perhaps would need to have the web designed with holes, cap strips without bolted splices, and maybe a fabric leading edge instead of the aluminum..... probably drag-anti drag structure or some other replacement instead of a aluminum leading edge D tube.

I really liked your design.....perhaps just need to get a better controller.....there has been lots of improvement over the years.

Last edited:

pylon500

My ignorance at the design phase many years ago has not produced a lighter aluminum wing than the original wood wing. Perhaps a professional stress man could have done it....The original wing was 75-80 lb....Mine will be at least 140 lb.

I really liked your design.....perhaps just need to get a better controller.....there has been lots of improvement over the years.
I'll just point out that I bought the Tempest from Bodex about two years ago, and spent more time trying to create the roof storage track in my hangar, than I did on getting the glider flyable.
My reason for building a new wing (which I initially intended to base on a modified Lazair wing), is because the original Moyes/Bailey wing has a tube spar which flexes (not a problem within itself), which has the unfortunate side effect of causing wrinkles all over the mylar finished dacron covering.
This has been the bane of hang gliders since inception, as it basically destroys any attempt at a decent wing section.
The BD-5 suffered the same problem.
I'm a little luckier than your Aluminum Falcon, I mean Dragon, as I intend to maintain the use of the strut, I don't think it flies fast enough for the strut drag to be too big a problem.
The roof hoist sort of worked, but needed more development time than I could afford, so the glider is now just winched into the roof of my hangar.

Attachments

henryk

Attachments

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
Drivetrain finished! E-Tempest 2.0
love it I hope you will keep us in the loop....I could use one of those if it works out and my bird works out ok...What I like about it is if the motor does not work out, others could easily be tried.

pylon500

simflyer

Drivetrain finished! E-Tempest 2.0
Flocky, E-Tempest 2.0 is Your project and glider? Do You have any drawings Tempest documentation?
Time ago was for sale Tempest with drawings and trailer. I like to have Tempest centerplane and wings inner structure detailed photos.
Regards,
J.

simflyer

Sorry I dont have any plans. Bobby Bailey the designer may!
Flocky, You forgot answer, if it is Your Tempest glider in project. Please, could You make Tempest centerplane and wings inner structure detailed photos?

Flocky

Flocky, You forgot answer, if it is Your Tempest glider in project. Please, could You make Tempest centerplane and wings inner structure detailed photos?
Yes I will be setting it down from the hangar roof in the coming weeks!

renxxx1981

I'll just point out that I bought the Tempest from Bodex about two years ago, and spent more time trying to create the roof storage track in my hangar, than I did on getting the glider flyable.
My reason for building a new wing (which I initially intended to base on a modified Lazair wing), is because the original Moyes/Bailey wing has a tube spar which flexes (not a problem within itself), which has the unfortunate side effect of causing wrinkles all over the mylar finished dacron covering.
This has been the bane of hang gliders since inception, as it basically destroys any attempt at a decent wing section.
The BD-5 suffered the same problem.
I'm a little luckier than your Aluminum Falcon, I mean Dragon, as I intend to maintain the use of the strut, I don't think it flies fast enough for the strut drag to be too big a problem.
The roof hoist sort of worked, but needed more development time than I could afford, so the glider is now just winched into the roof of my hangar.
I own a Tempest too , same intention as Flocky concerning the motor (maybe a different setup) , I want to make a better wing as well so we could join forces and make a better design?

pylon500

I own a Tempest too , same intention as Flocky concerning the motor (maybe a different setup) , I want to make a better wing as well so we could join forces and make a better design?
Unfortunately my Electric Tempest is down the list a bit amongst the hangar full of projects I have running at the moment.
I've got an electronics friend looking into that part of it, and will probably test fly with the original wings as I'm not really looking for performance at the moment.
I'll get to the new wings some time after that.
I really must clear out my hangar!