Quantcast

Moyes tempest electric conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bodex

Bodex,

I hope things are going well on your project..
I saw the report about it on the CAFE Foundation blog..
CAFE Foundation Blog — Information and discussion from the Comparative Aircraft Flight Efficiency (CAFE) Foundation.

What you're doing is really quite the harbinger of many other projects in the future.
Have you had any success getting a controller from Alien to work??
Eager to hear about your recent activities... ;)
Still waiting on the replacement speed controller, I'm quickly loosing patience to the point of maybe getting a different brand controller. A friend of mine sent me the cafe blog link with my glider in it, I was really surprised! Winters come to an end in Australia and some good soaring will be around soon so the glider should be flying regularly soon. I'll be posting progress as I go.

clanon

Be sure the voltage on the caps is closer to 60 or 70 % the one labeled on the caps (more dc volts on the label the better and the expensier)is that a word...:ponder:

fasilpereira

Hi Bodex,

Have you had any progress on this project? I really like it!

What kind of problems did you have with the gas engine?

About the prop, is it mounted on just one bearing? What prevents the bearing from sliding front or backwards?

I would love to see more details of the prop and redrive assembly.

Thank you,

Fabricio

GIanni Daniele

Greetings to all dear friends fans of electric flight !

Is our intention start the "reverse engineering " on MOYES TEMPEST then if anyone knows one of this ultralight glider for sale to import in Italy please keep US informed.

In the mean time my greetings to BODEX for the big work done (we are connected in Linkedlin)

Regarding electric propulsion I will use MGM COMPRO motor driver ( already successfully used in my pst project for my SF-27M 6 PW-5 electric conversion ) !

For motor I'm analyzing the new entry in HOLLOW SHAFT BLDC motor ( 120mm hole )

please take a look on the pics attached

Any help, contribution or ideas are appreciated, greetings from Italy

Gianni

Attachments

simflyer

Hi Gianni,
one Tempest, with drawings and trailer, was in US for sale few years ago, for about 10K USD.
Maybe some contact is available. Am too interresting about structure of it and also of SuperFloater.
Regards,
Jeri

Is our intention start the "reverse engineering " on MOYES TEMPEST then if anyone knows one of this ultralight glider for sale to import in Italy please keep US informed.
Gianni

GIanni Daniele

Hi Gianni,
one Tempest, with drawings and trailer, was in US for sale few years ago, for about 10K USD.
Maybe some contact is available. Am too interresting about structure of it and also of SuperFloater.
Regards,
Jeri
Hi Gianni,
Regards,
Jeri
Hi Gianni,
Regards,
Jeri
hello JERI, THANKS

also drawings ? Is the first im I hear availability f drawings od TEMPEST.....

Dillpickle

Have you tried to get ahold of Bobby Bailey, the designer? He's pretty approachable. He just went through a move, but should be settling in soon.

renxxx1981

Hi guys,
I'm the other half involved with this Tempest project. I'm gathering info for a new airfoil to employ ,taking inspiration from Mitja and his huge research plus existing sailplanes (ac-21, atos, banjo,etc). The idea is to put the motor in the boom as seen on the Australian Tempest and on the E-Sirius. Plans were available since it was sold as a kit too. Mark Story is the one who sold it for 10k$ and plans were indeed included. Let's see what happens next with this project Thanks Gianni for his enthusiastic support.

Dillpickle

I've tried even by mail but no response ...
Well...he is approachable...but hard to pin down, lol. He did just have to move, in the middle of the Hang glider tow season. His principle job is towing in his Dragonfly, and repairing/assembling Dragonflys around the Globe. I saw him this winter before he went to Mexico to repair a damaged airplane, and I expect to see him again in a month or two. There was a Tempest for sale in the Tahoe region of California, and I asked him about it. I'll let him know you are looking for him when I see him again. That seemed like a PERFECT airplane for guys whose bodies weren't up to hang gliding anymore, but there weren't enough purchasers to keep it in production.

simflyer

well....in the meantime we wait new for another used Tempest
Gianni,
did You tried to find, if Mark Story sold his Tempest with drawings ? Also, try find some info about Tempest in video I shared. Am curious :)
Marske Monarch may be platform to power by Your e-motor, but don't know complete weight of electric accessories.

pylon500

Ayy Flocky, only just recently been getting back onto this site, and stumbled on Bodex's posts about the electric Tempest.
Basically haven't done anything with the glider since buying it, other than a failed attempt to make a telescoping track system in the roof of my hangar to get the glider out without having to move too many aircraft.
As for the glider, I was contemplating installing a Raket paramotor engine, until an electronics mate retired up my way, so I'm considering continuing with the electric power concept again.
I crunched some numbers regarding prop diameter / ground clearance / reduction ratio (can't find the bit of paper now...), but figured I will make a 34" folding four blade prop and hopefully be able to R.O.G.
One of the local manufacturers has been onto me to get the Tempest flyable so he can try out his 'tug' to tow me up, but we both have a huge backlog of other projects that just keep getting in the way.
I've also been following the guy building the 'Aluminium Dragon', with a view of building a better (and maybe lighter) wing for the Tempest...?
Will have to allocate a few hours a week to kick off this project again.
Tempest_Suspended.png

Bille Floyd

In the mean time my greetings to BODEX for the big work done (we are connected in Linkedlin)

Regarding electric propulsion I will use MGM COMPRO motor driver ( already successfully used in my pst project for my SF-27M 6 PW-5 electric conversion ) !

For motor I'm analyzing the new entry in HOLLOW SHAFT BLDC motor ( 120mm hole )

please take a look on the pics attached

Gianni
Any progress with your project ?

How many Kw is that hollow shaft motor good for ?
Who makes it ?

Bille

proppastie

Log Member
please take a look on the hollow shaft bldc motor we plan to use
I do not understand how the motor attaches to a boom....it seems the ID is stationary, but is it a press fit or are there attachment holes on the ID to the boom?....Nice concept...My boom is very out of round approximately .5mm