Moving plane to hangar

Discussion in 'Completions' started by Bob Olds, Feb 26, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 26, 2003 #1

Bob Olds

Bob Olds

Bob Olds

This is how we move our RV-4 from the runway (In back Yard) to the hangar , 60 feet away.
    It's tough living in the country in Arkansas ?

I tow the plane with my riding lawn mower and a two wheel dolly.
    The runway ends in the back yard halfway between the house and hangar. We have 20 acres with an 1100 foot grass strip,which works well for the RV-4,solo .

Thanks Jake for getting the photo up for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
    N8053H, Jon Ferguson and choppergirl like this.
  2. Feb 27, 2003 #2

Senna

Senna

Senna

I'm not sure about the others... but for me you've used too few words for me to get the picture...! :p

It sounds like a great setup from what little you've told us!!!

Senna

3. Mar 2, 2003 #3

admin

admin

admin

Administrator Staff Member

Very cool Bob!. Now that is working smarter not harder :D.

Jake

4. Mar 2, 2003 #4

Senna

Senna

Senna

Good to see you've finally got the visual aid!!!

I second the kudos on doing it smartly!!!

Senna

5. Jul 31, 2012 #5

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

You, my friend are extreamly lucky to have a strip in your backyard. Out here in California I don't think there's enough space for a ultralight helicopter to take-off let alone an RV.

6. Jul 31, 2012 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

??? Are you referring to California or San Francisco? Two vastly different things (in many ways ;)).

There are many open spaces and large lots in California as well as several community airparks like (to name just a few):

* Cameron Park (east of Sacramento),
    * Pine Mountain Lake (Groveland),
    * Sierra Sky Park (Fresno),
    * Rosamond (north of Lancaster/Palmdale),
    * French Valley (between Murrietta & Temecula).

Of course, the OP's picture reminds me of a hybrid pic I saw:

JohnDeereLawnmover.jpg

7. Aug 1, 2012 #7

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

San Francisco area

8. Jul 4, 2016 #8

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I named mine Kettenkrad... had same plans for it. Not just moving light planes and mowing grass on a very small ultralight airstrip, but does a brutal job on mowing briars, too, as I found out this week. Absolute brutality. Will shred small fallen limps to a pulp and spit them out the side. I can already see, I'm going to be hard on belts... and probably blades. I made my mower belts smoke a couple of times before I could quickly disengaged the mower, when either bogging down or jamming up the blades on some insanely thick jungle I had no business mowing in the first place.

I'm thinking just for atmosphere, I should put a rotating orange light on it, and stencil "airport maintenance" on the side. It needs some red and white airport hazard checkerboard on it...

On mine, the fragile plastic leaf director thingee can be swung up, so I use a bungee cord attached to it and the mower lever, to hold it out of the way when I really get into some brutal briarpatch jungle mowing. You can get into some places and do somethings with it that a bushhog or a push mower can't, and vice versa... so they all have their uses.

I use a leaf blower to clean out all the grass from the mower belt area and all dust off of it after each use.

You can easily tip it on its side to get to the blades to service, but as I found out, there is a breather pin hole on the gas cap your gas will spill out of rather quickly. So best done when you're out of fuel.

Bouncing around in high speed, mowing in 7th gear is a blast. You can indeed mow grass in 7th gear, but it does a half-*ssed 60% job as its moving faster than the blades are spinning. Good for getting those last long grass stems you missed on the first pass or a last touch up over places you missed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    THRC12 and spaschke like this.
  9. Jul 4, 2016 #9

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Could you please post some pics of how this hooks or attaches to your airplane and then to the tractor. I have been wanting something like this to move my airplane. I have a bone disease and its very hard on me moving my airplane around. The day will come when I will not be able to move it. I would like to use my 4x4 atv for this but not sure how to make the tow bar setup.

Tony

10. Jul 4, 2016 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

A trailer hitch either ball or pintle on the tractor, 4 wheeler, golf cart. We use a lawn tractor with balls on both sides. Most of the ATV and golf carts around my airport do to. A bar like this is what most use with a ring welded on instead of a handle.

Attached Files:

11. Jul 4, 2016 #11

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

This is not what I am looking for. I like what the gent or OP posted. It has two wheels and what I want. You are not dragging the airplane by the tail wheel or with it on the ground. I want the tail wheel picked up. I just need to see how he hooks his airplane to that two wheel dolly.

12. Jul 4, 2016 #12

TFF

TFF

TFF

I see what you are after. Something like this with bigger wheels. A lot of these need more physical effort to hook up vs hooking to the tailwheel.

Attached Files:

13. Jul 4, 2016 #13

Matt G.

Matt G.

Matt G.

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have getting him to respond, as he has not logged on in ~11 years.

14. Jul 5, 2016 #14

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Yea I saw this after I commented. I would say he is not walking with us today. I will design something like what he used for my airplane.

15. Jul 5, 2016 #15

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

But he does have a SEND EMAIL link attached to his profile, so you may still be able to reach him that way if he is still using the same email address.

My own thought on this... you probably want a fill swivel plate to set and attach the tailwheel on. That way, you're not straining the linkages by trying to force the tailwheel to turn beyond its limits (it would also allow you to maneuver more tightly).