Moving Map Software - Homebuilt Displays

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Jman, Apr 18, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 18, 2003 #1

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I was hoping to hear from anyone that has built or is building their own moving map display. What software are you using and what method are you using to display it.

I've got an idea for a tablet PC based moving map display that snaps in and out of the panel and doubles as a source of in-flight entertainment and flight planning. Here is an example of a tablet PC for those who have not seen one yet. They are much larger than a palm pilot and much more powerful. Similar in size and power to a smaller laptop computer. I've found several sunlight readable versions with 10-12 inch displays and with either touch screen or stylus pencil control. Mostly they run Windows XP. I realize that it would be no good for IFR, except as a back-up, but it would be pretty nice to have such a large screen moving map for VFR travel.

There was a pretty interesting discussion over at the Canard Community that is what got me thinking about it.

Is there someone out there, who has a lot of knowledge about the software options available that could give us a heads up on the pros and cons of some of the systems available?

Jake

2. Apr 18, 2003 #2

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Jake, I'm not sure if you mean having a moving map display or not but there is a superb one which is scaleable and downloadable to any format available from Memory Map Navigator at : www.memory-map.co.uk

3. Apr 18, 2003 #3

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Yes actually I was referring to moving map software. The map you mentioned does look very nice but I'm thinking of something solely dedicated to aircraft with aircraft charts and possibly 3-D terrain visualization.

The Blue Mountain system would be nice but it would need to be available as a software bundle instead of a hardware and software combo. I doubt there is such an animal but it would be nice if I’m wrong.

Obviously this idea isn’t new but the reason I like the idea of the tablet PC would be the ability to “dock” and “undock” the tablet from a recessed spot on the panel and take it home with me to do flight planning, email, internet, and anything else I might do with any other PC. In my mind, the hand held palm pilots are ok, but the screen is very small and not very colorful. With a Tablet PC you could have multiple programs running at the same time and be able to cycle between them with one touch. One program might be the map, one might be the music, one might be a document with frequencies and landmarks, etc…

Anyone experimenting with their own homebuilt moving map system?

Jake

4. Apr 19, 2003 #4

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Jake, The Memory Map software does use Aviation maps with an interface to road mapping (good for fine detail), you can also import into it so you may be able to add terrain mapping as well. I'm pretty sure they have the US covered for aviation mapping, have another look and I'm sure you'll find all the relevant information, John.

5. May 13, 2005 #5

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Anywhere Map has software packages that you can load on your tablet PC, including the GPS interfaces and antennas. They'll also bundle and pre-install the software and/or equipment packages with many tablet PCs if you want them to.

http://www.anywheremap.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=27

6. May 16, 2005 #6

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Jake,

AvMap do a portable GPS moving map model EKB-VI (electronic knee board) for US$1500 which has a 7" screen - measured diagonally.
    www.avmapnavigation.com

Go here to see one in a Falco panel. http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/georger/

George has the earlier model, the EKB-IIIC, and has separated the control pad and fitted it into the panel above the display, which makes it a relatively permanant fixture.

The later model looks to be a little more compact and I wouldn't think it a major obstacle to install it to be easily removable.

His only gripe is that it doesn't have a true NMEA 0813 output, even though it is promoted as having this feature, so won't drive his autopilot. He's had to built his own custom designed interface to make it talk to the A/P - (George is an A320 Captain for Air New Zealand, loves electronic gadgets and is also a pretty smart guy!)

As you can see from the photo it's a huge display, almost the size of a radio stack - I'm thinking about one myself if the autopilot interface can be resolved. Here's a drawing of the latest idea - sorry about the orientation, I can't seem to save it after rotating to get it the right way up !

Rob

Attached Files:

7. May 17, 2005 #7

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Jake.. give me a day or two... I have a link somewhere for exactly what your looking for. Another one for EIS too I believe...

8. Mar 3, 2006 #8

jcastle

jcastle

jcastle

try pocket fms

Jake, try pocket fms. I think it is exactly what you are looking for. I use my laptop and gps reciever with it, it works good and it is free,
    http://www.pocketfms.com/:ban:

9. Mar 3, 2006 #9

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Have a look at the new G4 series from BMA, they now have terrain on their lite models as well...:ban:

10. Sep 7, 2008 #10

tomlaudato

tomlaudato

tomlaudato

Re: try pocket fms

Hello it is a subscription service and requires a monthly subscription
    am i missing something here tom

11. Sep 7, 2008 #11

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    Something which you might find interesting/valuable - http://www.oziexplorer.com/

From their web site:
    "GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and will work with Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and MLR GPS receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and tracks and most brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS position (Moving Map). OziExplorer allows you to work with maps on the computer screen that you create from scanned or digital maps. Ideal for planning trips for boating, 4 wheel driving, flying, hiking etc and as a real time navigation aid."

What I like about it is that I can scan in our official charts and have the software use this. Exactly as if I were using the paper map in the cockpit.

Duncan

12. Sep 7, 2008 #12

tomlaudato

tomlaudato

tomlaudato

Thanks so much for your input and your link i will be trying it today
    tom laudato

13. Jan 15, 2010 #13

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

Hey,

I don't know if you found the PC system you were looking for, but you might want to check out this link:
    Electronic Flight Instrument System - Levil Aviation

They have a PC-based EFIS. The software they use right now for primary flight and moving map is called Approach Integrated Cockpit from Approach Systems. It is pretty cheap too ($30)

Ananda Leon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. Jan 15, 2010 #14

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

OziExplorer doesnt do 'find me a route' type stuff either..

edit: DOH! Old thread :)