Move to Xenforo

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sometime in the next week we will migrate the forum to Xenforo. You will notice a default "This forum is undergoing maintenance" message. Probably take me about 1-2 hours to convert the site.

vB4 is end of life, it's not security supported software anymore and there are active exploits for this vB4 version. vBulletin is now on version 5 and no one uses it. vB4 was not even adopted by many. vBulletin 3 was the gold standard, then all the developers left after that to start Xenforo and now it's the gold standard. It's super secure, extremely easy to use, fast and robust. The UI is a lot like a modern vBulletin 3.

It has the ability to copy/paste images into Quick Reply like Gmail, the search is awesome, the design is responsive so it works great on mobile devices, it's really secure software.

https://www.cointalk.com/forums/
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Those are two big, big sites running it. That's a more default version of the style. More like vBulletin.

I will make the design very, very close to this one so the change over is not too drastic.

Derswede

I bow deeply and thank you for all the hard work you guys have invested in keeping this the number one site for crazy airplane guys! This site is VERY appreciated, and I am sure that most of the other inmates will agree.....:gig:

Derswede

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I welcome the update and the move to a more secure platform and look forward to getting to know the new layout. At first glance, I do fine the text a bit small, not so much in the posts but the various menu items on the homepage, the message previews, quotes, and signatures. Is that something I can adjust in the settings as a user and, if not, would it be possible to up the text sizes a bit? Cheers, Matthew

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
would it be possible to up the text sizes a bit? Cheers, Matthew
That would be nice. I thought the 'new post' was small on the old system:(

I also found 2 people in my ignore list that I never put there. Going to be a little bit of a learning curve.

Already miss some of the old emoticons o_O

Over all it looks like it is going to be a big improvement!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Looks like Choppergirl has a 5 to 1 lead under most notable members for media. Does that surprise anyone?

Topaz has top billing for number of posts.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is still some final tweaking going on in the background. But the site is usable at this time.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I always use the forum from my cell phone. The new version is horrible for me on my end. Does a app exist?

Victor Bravo

I KNOW it's not all dialed in yet, but everything looks smaller and less intuitive to me as well. And how did I get to be a "well known member" when Hot Wings is only a "registered member". I ain't any more important than he is.

And does this mean the search engine will work now?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Some folks love "exploring" new software/apps. That is not me. Trying to make the new stuff work right (newest post at the top, etc) is does not feel like some sort of fun quest.
Just venting. Every new version of MS Office was a huge PITA in my opinion. "Where's the icon I push to make this new version work like the old one? I'm not interested in what the folks at Microsoft HQ thought was agreat new idea that we should all love. I have work to do with this tool."

Reactions: BJC

WBNH

Not disliking the new site...but I was kind of proud of how the old one said "Member since 2006" by the icon...still does when you click on it however...so ego's sated. ;)

Last edited:

pwood66889

Guess it happened.
First critique: Focus. I hit Reply and the panel comes up. But focus is not in the text box! I hate that!! When it is the only thing on the page, it is either a lazy programmer that forgets the GetFocus() or an environment that does not allow setting the focus to the field on the Web Form.
I'll have to see if the ads are still there if I just cruise the site. Hope we get paid!
Percy