Mountain plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

EzyBuildWing

Dragonfly, but fit with with twin new Polini Thor 303 pushers..... around 600 lbs of static-thrust..... near vertical climb-out, and hover.... ultimate STOL !!!
Maybe trounce Steve Henry, and on a shoe-string budget!

jac

With regard to cam failures, over the last decade or two with deletion of ZDDP etc from oils had much of the racecar industry scratching their heads. One simple fix has been to cut a small groove in the lifter bores to squirt a jet of oil at the cam lobe just before it comes into contact with the lifter face, a little difficult to arrange on those engines that use a lifter with a mushroom type head as that interferes with the oil jet, maybe a good reason for manufacturers to change to a non -mushroom style lifter. Most of the cars I now work on are older 60's/70's models and are used in a similar environment to the aircraft with lots of parked up time and so far the results have been no failures in the cam dept. Yes Im aware of other fix's like the EDM drilled lifters, but they dont seem to be bulletproof and when you think about it the oil discharge from them is not at the critical point needed on the cam lobe.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
With regard to cam failures, over the last decade or two with deletion of ZDDP etc from oils had much of the racecar industry scratching their heads. One simple fix has been...
Or on any older engine, continue to run oils with zinc. I used Valvoline Racing Oil (contains ZDDP, marked for off road use only) in the Mosler (half VW) engine in my Fisher.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Or on any older engine, continue to run oils with zinc. I used Valvoline Racing Oil (contains ZDDP, marked for off road use only) in the Mosler (half VW) engine in my Fisher.
Can't buy any Valvoline Racing Oil in my local area. There is even a Race shop in town and they don't sell it.

Brünner

HBA Supporter
I can attest to what's written there.
A small flight school near me has a 172N with that beast and the owner/operator has told me that he's been very happy with it (his own words). The plane flies very frequently, the engine receives a quart of oil before the first start up and gets warmed up for 5 minutes after that - or whenever it cooled down.

Last edited: