Mountain plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

And people wonder why I still think a BRS is a good idea cutting across regularly.

But it's pretty scenery.

Nice video. Look to be cruising at around 10K or 12K ASL there, though. Much more interesting down at 6K. I went through the Blaeberry pass back in about '94, at 6500 or so, just above the floor of the pass. Sure wouldn't want to go down in there. BC and Alberta have talked for years about running a highway through it, which would be a maintenance nightmare year-round, with snow and rocks and ice tumbling down most of the time.

Last I heard there were still about 100 airplanes that have disappeared in BC over the years, and never found. An RV6 disappeared in the North Thompson maybe three years ago, and while looking for it they discovered a Supercub on floats that had disappeared in the 1970s. Trees hide stuff, and avalanches cover what the trees don't hide.

Starjumper7

BRS is a
And people wonder why I still think a BRS is a good idea
BRS is a good idea for around here.

I used to go on six day backpacking trips deep into the Washington North Cascade wilderness areas (until the Grizzly bear moved in). It would be fun to fly around those areas. I talked to one pilot who moved to Washington and said he quit flying because there are too many rocks in the clouds.

Starjumper7

Here's a nice picture of big bird and an example of what I mean by steep mountains with no flat spots. Even with such a large body, the way the wings fold show it has an enormous span.
Adean Condor.jpg

Pilot-34

Somehow flying over that kind of terrain would freak me out. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, when any engine problem has a better than average chance of wrecking your airplane and your flimsy body. I remember the first time I flew over the Midwest, how relaxing it was: any engine failure and you could practically trim it, fold your arms and let the thing land itself anywhere and you'd probably walk away from it.

From those pictures it looks very gnarly. I'd try paragliding instead.
lol some of those Midwestern crops will leave you wishing you landed in a western forest

Soy beans are like landing into a arresting net you’re definitely going to go over.
Corn is like landing into a field of hammers.
Land on a local road and you might as well simply land at the prison and save yourself some time.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If you land on any road in WV you will get a ticket for an authorized vehicle. Scratching for every penny.

Pilot-34

If you land on any road in WV you will get a ticket for an authorized vehicle. Scratching for every penny.
Kinda hard to believe there’s enough straight road in West Virginia to land on.....

BJC

HBA Supporter
A friend landed his RV-4 one evening on US 1 just south of Raleigh, NC. No damage. He was told that he had to disassemble it and remove it. He trailered it away in the early am without authorization, and was ticketed.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Sorry, but if he was told to remove it, why was he ticketed for removing it?

A friend landed his RV-4 one evening on US 1 just south of Raleigh, NC. No damage. He was told that he had to disassemble it and remove it. He trailered it away in the early am without authorization, and was ticketed.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Kinda hard to believe there’s enough straight road in West Virginia to land on.....
About right. Most are covered with trees unless its an interstate. I have been over the middle of the state at 12K and could not see any where to land except for top of trees.

TFF

It’s actually kind of weird for such issues. I have seen crop dusters in the median of I 55 with the engine off until it could be fixed and flown out. I have seen a couple of Cessnas in the middle of the road. I’m sure they got tickets, but they did block major roads being damaged enough that they were not going to be pushed out. That’s the least of the worries at that point. I have never trailered an intact airplane, but I have trailered some sketchy loads with friends, and all the cops do is laugh at the laurel and hardy show. Commercial truck and trailer is one thing. They made a law here that towing a car had to to have a a pipe instead of just a chain so the cars would stop running into the back of the tow. I assume the law is still there; hadn’t seen anyone try to rig it up like that in years. Yes I have seen authorities express their authority in stupid ways of un help, but usually they can be reasoned with once they realize it’s just a bad day that’s trying to get fixed.
Unluckily multi engine at this level of aviation means you are taking a car until rich.