Mountain plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starjumper7

I don't think those long wing kinds of planes will work. My 'airport' is too narrow due to trees on one side and a hillside on the other side. Also, if you recall, I want a super fast roll rate at slow speeds, which long wing planes do not have.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
There is no where to land for a hundred miles except for the flat spot we made with an excavator, so this plane would not be for 'going places' and buying things, it is envisioned as being just to fly around the local area, taking off from and landing in the same place.
That's what I figured and why a launch winch and arresting cable is easiest.

Dan Thomas

The wing is the thing, and this airplane is all wing. Mud is not a problem here except for in the parking area in front of the house, and the horses cause it by milling around.
Horses love to chew on stuff. Cows, too. Airplanes are a tasty change from the usual wooden fence rails.

Starjumper7

Horses love to chew on stuff. Cows, too. Airplanes are a tasty change from the usual wooden fence rails.
They must only chew on wooden fences if they are trapped in too small a space with not enough food variety. They don't have that problem here and they don't chew on the wood fence around the house. They do like to help prune the shrubs and small trees along the road near the house though.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
They must only chew on wooden fences if they are trapped in too small a space with not enough food variety. They don't have that problem here and they don't chew on the wood fence around the house. They do like to help prune the shrubs and small trees along the road near the house though.
Do you have any horses or cows ? Going to put them in the barn for a clear field when you fly?

Starjumper7

Do you have any horses or cows ? Going to put them in the barn for a clear field when you fly?
Yes we have a couple of horses and a baby mule, we are thinking of starting to raise some cows here. I can close a gate on the road which will keep the animals out of the 'airport', there are no barns anywhere around here, probably within hundreds of miles. The temperature here never goes below 60 or above 80 degrees F so they don't need shelter. When it rains they get wet. The good thing about the land being so steep is that in some places all you need to do is put a gate on the road and that keeps them out of a huge area.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think bungee would be more appropriate than winch for the cliff launch. Like the old glider launches.
Use a winch to pull back the bungee.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Maybe a wheel going over the cliff attached to a yoke and a rope, with a pulley on top of the hill with a vertical or angled shaft. Pull the wheel back up with a mule or atv.

Holler "four" before launching wheel over edge.

Riggerrob

Maybe a wheel going over the cliff attached to a yoke and a rope, with a pulley on top of the hill with a vertical or angled shaft. Pull the wheel back up with a mule or atv.

Holler "four" before launching wheel over edge.
How about tying a water bucket to the end of your launch cable?
Rain or surface run-off can fill the bucket. When you pull the release handle, the bucket falls over the cliff, launching the airplane. At the bottom of the cliff, the bucket tips over, spilling out all the water, making it much easier to haul back up for the second launch.

You might even be able to reverse-rig the catapult to gradually decelerate your airplane after landing ... like an aircraft carrier. Once the tail hook snags a wire, it tries to pull the (full) bucket uphill.
Woe be tide any of your friends who try to land without a tail hook! Hah! Hah!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
How about tying a water bucket to the end of your launch cable?
Rain or surface run-off can fill the bucket. When you pull the release handle, the bucket falls over the cliff, launching the airplane. At the bottom of the cliff, the bucket tips over, spilling out all the water, making it much easier to haul back up for the second launch.
Rob, you've been watching too many re-runs of Gilligan's Island !

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes we have a couple of horses and a baby mule, we are thinking of starting to raise some cows here. I can close a gate on the road which will keep the animals out of the 'airport', there are no barns anywhere around here, probably within hundreds of miles. The temperature here never goes below 60 or above 80 degrees F so they don't need shelter. When it rains they get wet. The good thing about the land being so steep is that in some places all you need to do is put a gate on the road and that keeps them out of a huge area.
I would like to be your neighbor.
Sounds like a great place to live except for wanting to fly.

Starjumper7

I would like to be your neighbor.
Sounds like a great place to live except for wanting to fly.
It is a great place, the 'authorities' are not nearly as anal as up north. The land next to mine is available, as well as the piece above me (requires 4X4 to get there even when it's dry). The spot to the side of me has the biggest, nicest nearly flat area around here. There are other pieces of land further away that have fairly big flat areas on hill or mountain tops. We have a mountain top on our land too, but it's pretty pointy.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My daughter's place is sort of like that. Behind a locked gate, on a private road, where in the best of weather getting there with a 2 wheel drive is a hit or miss thing.

PTAirco

Somehow flying over that kind of terrain would freak me out. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, when any engine problem has a better than average chance of wrecking your airplane and your flimsy body. I remember the first time I flew over the Midwest, how relaxing it was: any engine failure and you could practically trim it, fold your arms and let the thing land itself anywhere and you'd probably walk away from it.

From those pictures it looks very gnarly. I'd try paragliding instead.

Dan Thomas

Somehow flying over that kind of terrain would freak me out. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, when any engine problem has a better than average chance of wrecking your airplane and your flimsy body. I remember the first time I flew over the Midwest, how relaxing it was: any engine failure and you could practically trim it, fold your arms and let the thing land itself anywhere and you'd probably walk away from it.

From those pictures it looks very gnarly. I'd try paragliding instead.
You wouldn't like flying in BC, then:

1617847398847.png

In my old Jodel, behind the 75-year-old A-65.

This isn't me, but I've flown through this pass several times. The ravine is over a mile deep.