• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Motion Sickness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to hear from anyone that had a tough time getting over their motion sickness when they began flying. I get motion sick pretty easy and I expect that by this November or so I will be starting Army Flight School (if I get accepted) and I am a little worried. What have you all used to get over motion sickness? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been doing some research on the subject and here is what I have come up with so far.

1. Scopolamine. Used in military flight school for a maximum of three flights to alleviate symptoms.

2. Dramamine / Antihistamines. Works well for motion sickness but not allowed during flight.

3. Ginger Root. A natural Herb that has been shown effective in some studies and shown ineffective in others. Ok for flight because it is not a drug.

4. Acupressure. Anti-Motion Sickness wrist bands that put pressure or an electrical charge on the forearm just above the wrist. I've read a few testimonials by pilots that are not selling these products that have claimed they work, but I have not found any studies on them.

5. Habituation. Repeated exposure to the motion that makes you sick until you get used to it. This seems to be the way most pilots get over there motion sickness problems. It is interesting to note that some medications that are supposed to help with motion sickness actually prevent you body from getting used to the motion. When you get off the meds you are back to square one. I don't think this is the case with Scopolamine.

Any help or advice you could give would be very much appreciated.

Jake

Back