MoTeC USA

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by TXFlyGuy, Jul 24, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 24, 2019 #1

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

After much thought and research, we are going with a complete package from MoTeC USA. I made a special trip up to Chardon, Ohio, to meet with the nice folks at Hutter Performance.

They are setting up a special package for us, wiring harness, ECU, and programming. Trevor is confident that all of us will be extremely satisfied with the performance of the MoTeC.

The only downside is they have a 6 week backlog on harness orders, and my plane will be ready to fly in about 10 days...dang it! I only wish we had found these people 4 years ago.

https://www.hutterperformance.com/

2. Jul 24, 2019 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What do they do for redundancy? Dual ECU's or multiple channels in one or other?

3. Jul 24, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think technically it’s not ready to fly.
    Six weeks is nothing. I know of someone who has to wait over a year for a part on a Bell helicopter.

4. Jul 24, 2019 #4

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

We are ready for engine runs now. As soon as the wings are painted (this week), the plane will be reassembled.
    That should not take more than a couple days.

Single engine, single ECU. But the M1 is a blank slate, so we will program it to fit our every desire. It might even bring me a cold beer after the mission is over.

5. Jul 24, 2019 #5

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The reason I asked is that these electronic engine controls are great most of the time but sometimes, rarely, they will have a problem that cannot be duplicated by a tech.

6. Jul 25, 2019 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

It was a little rub. If it does not have all the parts no matter, it’s not ready to fly. ;)

7. Jul 25, 2019 #7

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Yes...oh, a little higher please. That's the spot. A little rub feels so good now and then. Upper back, shoulder area...now you are getting it. I really needed that. Now, time for a beer.

No, it wont be ready to fly for two weeks. It has all the parts now, but we are upgrading to all MoTeC.

Partly on the advice of Homebuilt's own Ross F., Mr. S.D.S.

I am paraphrasing, but he has stated that this brand of ECU is among the best money can buy, if not the absolute best. And we have found a good tuner who knows his stuff.

The Thunder Mustang guys all agree with this too.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  8. Jul 25, 2019 #8

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

This question would be more appropriately directed to Ross Farnham, the resident expert on all things ECU related.

9. Jul 25, 2019 #9

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Motec is good stuff, probably way more than you need to run this engine properly. I'd make sure these guys, who look very experienced with car LS stuff, understand the aviation environment, specifically ensuring that the system will continue to run the engine at high power in the event of a sensor failure or out of limit sensor. The stack exhaust will also preclude using an O2 sensor to tune the system, just as on other T51 projects.

TXFlyGuy likes this.
  10. Jul 25, 2019 #10

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Ross - Thank you for your input. Much appreciated, as always!

Yes, Trevor Hutter has been made fully aware of the requirements in an aviation application. He actually is a pilot, commercial / instrument / multi-engine rated. After graduating from college, he spent time as a charter pilot flying a Ram Conversion C-340. Trevor carried racing teams all over the country. He later decided to go to work with his father (also a pilot) in the family engine tuning / racing business.

The initial tuning will be done with 8 O2 sensors, on the dyno. Using a "sleeve" to mount the sensors in. Then when we get to the airport, the fine tuning will take place, and we may still opt to temporarily run the O2 sensors. Probably WOT, high speed taxi runs down the runway. And then a full flight testing/programming with the data from all of the inputs.

Of course, we will not run these sensors after we get a full program up and running, and have a good fuel MAP that we are happy with.

The plan is to tune for 93 Octane pump gas, and 100LL Avgas. We will burn both.

A number of factors went into our decision on this. Getting a mil-spec, custom harness was a big one. Plus the reputation of the both companies involved, Hutter and MoTeC.

When the visit was made to their facility in Chardon, OH, the overall cleanliness of the shop was impressive, to say the least. Plus organized way better than my own garage!

A huge side benefit is they are located a mere 30 minute drive away from Titan Aircraft. Hutter is hoping to establish a long term relationship with Titan.

11. Jul 25, 2019 #11

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

That all sounds very good, especially the part that Trevor is a pilot. Titan will benefit a lot from your project with Trevor involved. The 8 O2s with a shroud is a good way to go on the dyno. Sounds like you're in good hands.

TXFlyGuy likes this.
  12. Jul 25, 2019 #12

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

O2 sensors need to be a certain length inside the end of the tailpipe, but not so close to the heads that they fry. The exhaust pulses will suck a bit of air back into the pipes at some points in the cycle. if that reaches the sensor, it can think the mixture is leaner than it really is. Temporarily extended the pipes will alter the breathing...

13. Jul 27, 2019 #13

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

The most impressive thing is Trevor already has the programming experts putting things together for our LS3 package. Plus they sent diagrams to Ohio for the wiring harness measurements and fabrication.

This is the most professional approach I have seen with regards to the T-51.

You are correct when you say Titan will benefit.

14. Aug 5, 2019 #14

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Update: It turns out that another builder/friend/airline pilot has the same engine that is in my Mustang, LS376/480. At 6200 rpm, this beast puts out 525 hp.
    This engine will go to Hutter Performance and put on the dyno. Tuning / programming will take place in the "lab". Then we will fine tune the program on my airplane.
    Hutter claims that they can get a good baseline program from the LS376/480, and then tweak it for the standard LS3.

After reading about all of the hoopla over the 2020 'Vette, our Hot Cam LS3 does the same power as the new LT2 engine.

15. Aug 14, 2019 #15

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Can you give a round number as to cost?

16. Aug 14, 2019 #16

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Not right now. Will know more after this weekend.