• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Most impressive use of composites in Ultralights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Perkins

To me all of the ultralights using composites were astonishing but perhaps the best were the most recent designs reflecting the advancement of the art. That being the composite work done by BeLite and the ZJ Vierra. Other unforgettable amazing designs using some composites were the XTC, ( recall the XTC used a laminar airfoil designed by NASA ) Goldwing, Catto CA-15, Caulder Wren, Striplin Ranger, and of course the Rutan Grizzly which was the British microlight designed to use a Lotus engine and maybe not light enough to be an ultralight. The ZJ Vierra was largely overlooked because it was introduced long after there was a lot of interest in ultralights. If I am not mistaken the ZJ Vierra had a less than 200 pound empty weight which I can barely imagine. Why would any designer target anything less than the legal maximum 254 pounds ? I guess he just didnt think anything extra was needed. Today, If I were to design an ultralight taking max advantage of composites, I would use that 42 foot wing from the popular 2 seater ( trainer ) hang glider ... ATOS I think it is....
and build a plane around that wing.

Back