Quantcast

Most impressive use of composites in Ultralights

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Gregory Perkins

To me all of the ultralights using composites were astonishing but perhaps the best were the most recent designs reflecting the advancement of the art. That being the composite work done by BeLite and the ZJ Vierra. Other unforgettable amazing designs using some composites were the XTC, ( recall the XTC used a laminar airfoil designed by NASA ) Goldwing, Catto CA-15, Caulder Wren, Striplin Ranger, and of course the Rutan Grizzly which was the British microlight designed to use a Lotus engine and maybe not light enough to be an ultralight. The ZJ Vierra was largely overlooked because it was introduced long after there was a lot of interest in ultralights. If I am not mistaken the ZJ Vierra had a less than 200 pound empty weight which I can barely imagine. Why would any designer target anything less than the legal maximum 254 pounds ? I guess he just didnt think anything extra was needed. Today, If I were to design an ultralight taking max advantage of composites, I would use that 42 foot wing from the popular 2 seater ( trainer ) hang glider ... ATOS I think it is....
and build a plane around that wing.

TFF

In other parts of the world, the no license class has an even tighter weight restriction.

Bille Floyd

Today, If I were to design an ultralight taking max advantage of composites, I would use that 42 foot wing from the popular 2 seater ( trainer ) hang glider ... ATOS I think it is....
and build a plane around that wing.
I just purchased the early model Atos C !
Still plan to design the engine & pod, around the Exxtacy first
though ; that way if i blow-It , i won't be destroying my
new, (used) 19 : 1 L/D glider. The mission is to get high
enough to kill the engine, and fold the prop ; then go soaring !!!

As far as total state of the art in ultralight motor gliders go ; i
think the :

Windward Performance Sparrowhawk

Windward Performance Sparrowhawk, has it Hands Down !!
L/D of 36:1 @ 50 kn (58 mph) with an empty
weight of 155-Lb, and a Gross weight of 415 lb ; it gives ya a
wide margin for the addition of an engine to reach max weight
for an ultralight , (which they do make).
I did a Thread on the motor-glider version ; it was more about the
single bladed prop, than the glider itself.

Bille

Windward Performance Sparrowhawk