Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Riggerrob

@Island_flyer

I've read the Accident report. Something strange happened with the throttles. One engine was a runaway and the other gained some RPM. At the same time, his speed was dropping below stall speed. The aircraft itself behaved as expected in a low-speed stall. He didn't have enough control authority to correct the roll.

I agree about the driveshafts. being routed weird. Maybe in a tunnel, like cars and trucks, but not beside and around the pilot. Given the technology of the time, they STILL could have run a steel tunnel and some sort of safety rings, like race cars use to prevent drive shafts from dropping and pole-vaulting cars.

Personally, I don't see the need for 2 engines and 2 shafts, when there are gearboxes that will split and counter-rotate the props.

Still, overall, it was designed for more than double the speed of the racing airplanes of the day. Gotta give the designers that much credit.

Bugatti had two engines because a single engine did not produce enough power.

Urquiola

@Island_flyer

I've read the Accident report. Something strange happened with the throttles. One engine was a runaway and the other gained some RPM. At the same time, his speed was dropping below stall speed. The aircraft itself behaved as expected in a low-speed stall. He didn't have enough control authority to correct the roll.

I agree about the driveshafts. being routed weird. Maybe in a tunnel, like cars and trucks, but not beside and around the pilot. Given the technology of the time, they STILL could have run a steel tunnel and some sort of safety rings, like race cars use to prevent drive shafts from dropping and pole-vaulting cars.

Personally, I don't see the need for 2 engines and 2 shafts, when there are gearboxes that will split and counter-rotate the props.

Still, overall, it was designed for more than double the speed of the racing airplanes of the day. Gotta give the designers that much credit.
It seems there was something as a ribbon, the laid to side '8' type, in a control cable, inducing the fatal crash in Bugatti airplane replica. Blessings +

J.L. Frusha

Bugatti had two engines because a single engine did not produce enough power.

Tandem engines with a common output, to a single transmission and driveshaft, have been done in many motorsports. I think the only reason for the complex driveline arrangement was being too true to the original design, without real consideration for simplicity. After all, they were using motorcycle engines, not Bugatti engines.

bmcj

@Island_flyer

This plane is one of the few cases I have seen that would benefit from electric propulsion.

Tiger Tim

I've read the Accident report. Something strange happened with the throttles. One engine was a runaway and the other gained some RPM.
IIRC at least one of the engines on the Bugatti replica incorporated a roller chain and sprocket to transmit power to its respective driveshaft that had a known history of skipping.

Tiger Tim

Rex’ Hangar seems to have hit the Youtube algorithm sweet spot lately, subscriptions have increased tenfold in just a few days.

Hawk81A

Well, as the "famous lawyer" says - "size matters". I did see the photoshopped battleship turret equipped version years ago, as well as versions depicting it vs a Nazi flying saucer. All obviously evidence of someone with too much time on their hands. Didn't realize one had actually existed. Dennis

BJC

Well, as the "famous lawyer" says - "size matters".
My friend, an accomplished Unlimited aerobatic competitor, multi airplane homebuilder, and retired managing partner of a very large, diverse practice, law firm based in Orlando that does not advertise, seethes at the mention of that “famous lawyer”.

BJC

Hawk81A

My friend, an accomplished Unlimited aerobatic competitor, multi airplane homebuilder, and retired managing partner of a very large, diverse practice, law firm based in Orlando that does not advertise, seethes at the mention of that “famous lawyer”.

BJC
Most do. Still, he's made himself a household name. Then, there's also the "SIZE" thing (which many who've never seen a commercial will not understand). Dennis

BJC

Most do. Still, he's made himself a household name. Then, there's also the "SIZE" thing (which many who've never seen a commercial will not understand). Dennis
I remember when he first started advertising. It was contriversal back then. He is estimated to be worth $700,000,000 now. Huge law practice, vast real estate holdings.

BJC

wwalton

Okay not just to bring this terrific thread into the New Year but also to correct the egregious absence of two top contenders. Also it wasn't till Pg 23 we saw the AR-5. I would say the AR-6 is also right in there. But the Vmax Probe is my vote.
vmax probe.gif

Runner up...I'm biased obviously. Even from a mechanics point of view a beautiful aircraft.

Viper1-768x413.jpg
oops I missed that this thread had already made it to 2022...sorry

n45bm

Okay not just to bring this terrific thread into the New Year but also to correct the egregious absence of two top contenders. Also it wasn't till Pg 23 we saw the AR-5. I would say the AR-6 is also right in there. But the Vmax Probe is my vote.
View attachment 120151

Runner up...I'm biased obviously. Even from a mechanics point of view a beautiful aircraft.

View attachment 120152
oops I missed that this thread had already made it to 2022...sorry
I remember the Vmax Probe. It was indeed a beautiful, streamlined machine designed to break speed records. Its designer/builder was a friend of mine. Sadly, it only flew one time with very bad results.