Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Batjac1

The GP-4 is what I have always considered the sexiest plane design I've seen. Wish I was smart enough to do one in composite.

Mark

mcrae0104

Spitfire looked good from this angle......
You'd hard-pressed to find a bad angle for a Spit. I'm a sucker for elliptical planforms.

Not to take anything away from the Spit's beauty, but one thing I prefer about the Mustang is its mathematically-defined lofting. Pretty airplanes, sure, they're everywhere; that's like Marilyn Monroe. But pretty plus smart, that's like (Marilyn) x (Monroe + vos Savant). Throw in the Merlin song and there's no competition.

J.L. Frusha

@EzyBuildWing Have you seen the Buggati Model 100P?

Island_flyer

@EzyBuildWing Have you seen the Buggati Model 100P?
Post #659 contained a reference to it. I was impressed with the 1930s concept. Very low drag. But I'm not enamored with the idea of driveshafts routed so close to the cockpit. The only one that actually flew was the one you referenced. That was 80 years or so after the original design. Seemed promising to see a historical design take to the air. But it ended with a fatal crash shortly after testing began.

J.L. Frusha

@Island_flyer

I've read the Accident report. Something strange happened with the throttles. One engine was a runaway and the other gained some RPM. At the same time, his speed was dropping below stall speed. The aircraft itself behaved as expected in a low-speed stall. He didn't have enough control authority to correct the roll.

I agree about the driveshafts. being routed weird. Maybe in a tunnel, like cars and trucks, but not beside and around the pilot. Given the technology of the time, they STILL could have run a steel tunnel and some sort of safety rings, like race cars use to prevent drive shafts from dropping and pole-vaulting cars.

Personally, I don't see the need for 2 engines and 2 shafts, when there are gearboxes that will split and counter-rotate the props.

Still, overall, it was designed for more than double the speed of the racing airplanes of the day. Gotta give the designers that much credit.