Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
Stelio frati only really designed one aircraft and mutated the rest. The Falco begat the SF 260 and the Frati jet. The S211 is probably the furthest he has strayed from his original design.

Dan Thomas

When I saw it, at Rockford or early Oshkosh, it had the VW. As soon as Merle landed, he got out and used a can of spray paint to touch-up the paint job.

BJC
Yeah, that would be it. Household door hinges for control surface hinges, IIRC.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
When the Blackburn Buccaneer was being touted as a naval aircraft for the RN's Fleet Air Arm, it hadn't yet been officially named and it is alleged that some wag suggested it be called the Blackburn Arna (say it fast). When the paperwork went upstairs with this suggested name, it came back with a request to define what an "arna" was. The reply " Another Royal Naval Aircraft" was sent back. Their Lordships were not amused and suggested a rethink on a proper nautical theme. Hence Buccaneer.

Angusnofangus

It’s a British Blowfish 1933. Usually the Brits named their aircraft after some bizarre bird, fish etc.
I don't see any such listing in Wiki, Blackburn Aircraft - Wikipedia, Not that Wiki is the be-all and end-all. But it does show the Blackburn R1 Blackburn as noted in #624. OK, after re-reading, it looks like I missed your point. Senility is slowly setting in. And yes, it certainly resembles a Blowfish.

EzyBuildWing

Yes....that 304S Shark fly-by sure looks like a civilian U2....... incredibly elegant fly-by.......as elegant and smooth as it gets!
Watched it so many times that I'm almost at the stage of pulling out mu check-book!

Flying Magazine January 1976 carried an article by Richard Bach about how the first time he watched a BD-5J fly by (flick past)at an airshow he was so smitten he pulled out his check-book and ordered one right then and there! It's a great article with many coloured pictures....maybe the magazine is available on-line?

Meanwhile, this a/c looks pretty cool, even though it's not physical yet:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
but my personal favourite production aircraft is the PC-12 - everything Pilatus makes is stunning as far as I am concerned, from a functioning aerodynamics and form meeting function point of view they tickle me in the right spot.
And the Porter?
I remember the first sight of a Porter. Yes, quite functional. A bit heavy on the stick.