Quantcast

Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I wonder, since we would not be launching from the wing of B-52 or the top of a rocket, if something like the X-24B could be simplified with large balanced elevons projecting beyond the "wing" on each side and a single rudder?

BJC

HBA Supporter
My favorite airshow performance.
Always got a chuckle from friends who rattled off all the "mods" that permitted Delmar to fly that bird.
Well, they did put a cutout in the front of the seat to make it easier to reach the trim control.

BJC

TarDevil

Well, they did put a cutout in the front of the seat to make it easier to reach the trim control.

BJC
Well, there! Silly Granvilles for not thinking of that!

His account of his last flight on 911 makes me wonder if he and the Gee Bee was the last general aviation flight that day.

Arfang

The pointy-nosed X-24B was reportedly very well-liked by the test pilots that flew it and would also not be hard to replicate in fabric over tube construction. With a lightweight rear-mounted pusher engine you could move the cockpit forward a little for better visibility in the flare.

View attachment 102954

A tube-and-fabric X-24B? Something like the Hyper III?

1280px-Hyper_III_at_Dryden_1969.jpg

scramjetter

OK, as a person who loves literally everything that flies, this is the worst topic to bring up. I posted a research aircraft but I just have to post this picture of one of my favorite homebuilts, a parasol beauty. I wanted to post a picture of the Stolp Starduster Too because it's my biplane love affair but from the same designer is the Stolp SA-500 Starlet.

It's so pretty and it deserves more attention. When looking for pictures, I found one by a photographer named Ian Howat, who in my opinion did a fantastic job of capturing the Starlet's beautiful sculpted elliptical wing shape. Even better, he captured the same plane decades apart with a new paint job. I have my preference but I can't speak ill of the taste of any person who owns such a remarkable airplane. Anyway Mr. Howat gave me permission to post these two pictures without a watermark. The first picture is 1974 and the second, 2016.

8550482.jpg

8410923.jpg

delta

Part of an airplanes beauty for me is when it does what it sets out to do like going around the patch, nonstop around the world, or exceeding the speed of sound for the first time.

joolkano

Looks like it's going 500 MPH while standing still. Very Italian. If it was a car it would be a Ferrari.
Ferrari is actually involved in the company.

The flying Ferrari
Since 2000, the Ferrari team from Maranello has been flying a Piaggio plane. Piaggio is the only aircraft in the world to bear the Ferrari logo. Piaggio is an Italian aircraft manufacturer from Genoa which makes the most beautiful business jet in the world. This aircraft is not only perfectly designed aerodynamically, but also architecturally it is a beautiful device to see. In addition, Enzo Ferrari's son (Piero) is on the board of Piaggio. Piaggio also sponsors drivers Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen.
Piaggio P180 Avanti Ferrari
Piaggio Aero was created in 1998 when Piero Ferrari took over the factory from Rinaldo Piaggio together with Josè Di Mase. Piaggio is the only manufacturer in the world that builds both aircraft and aircraft engines. Piaggio Aero also makes parts for Lockheed (F-35 JSF), Boeing and Rolls Royce.