Quantcast

Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rbarnes

Actually the Howard 350 & 500 were based on the Lockheed Ventura not it's little brother the Loadstar, The Howard 250 & Leatsar were Loadstar based
There was very little left over from the Ventura beyond the basic shape of the fuselage, to the point it got a complete new aircraft certification.
I worked for Tony P. for a few years and still chat with him regularly. Got to ride in the green Howard. Really neat experience. His albatross is even nicer. He regularly flies the Albatross all over the Great Lakes and Minnesota lake country

Another beautiful airplane.
Grumman-HU-16-Albatross-water-landing.jpg

Probably for sale too if interested.... lol

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I agree that it looks very straightforward but you really need an inline engine for the proper look and there just aren't any really good options with the thrust line that high and still narrow unless you source something like a Walter Mikron or larger. Still, even a VW engine with the right style, sort of Sonerai meets Farman not a replica but in the same spirit, could be great fun. It's worth noting that the original averaged 303 kph (188 mph) over a 200 km closed course with a 155 hp (possibly more) Renault Bengali engine, which is not too shabby even today.

This looks like easy to build..if taken into a modern day workshop for resurrection ?

scramjetter

There's low and slow and then there's this thing, the Northrop HL-10. Without wings, it would hardly take up any space in the hangar!

northrop_HL10_nasa.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I’d be very curious to see what could be done with a lifting body at low wing loading. The HL-10 weighed 6,000 lb with 160 sq ft of wing area so almost 38 lb/sq ft *without* the rocket fuel that took it to over 10,000 lb MTOW. I think you could easily build a fabric-covered microlight/LSA with the same external shape around 600-700 lb gross so closer to 4 lb/sq ft, which would be a very different aircraft.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’d be very curious to see what could be done with a lifting body at low wing loading. The HL-10 weighed 6,000 lb with 160 sq ft of wing area so almost 38 lb/sq ft *without* the rocket fuel that took it to over 10,000 lb MTOW. I think you could easily build a fabric-covered microlight/LSA with the same external shape around 600-700 lb gross so closer to 4 lb/sq ft, which would be a very different aircraft.
Remember this aborted design: Rans S-11 Pursuit, N4299Y / 0291004, RANS Aircraft :

IIRC, it had some serious aero deficiencies.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I do remember the S-11, but I am talking about a pure lifting body with conventional airfoil surfaces only for control. The half-conical M2-F1 “light” lifting body could easily be built at half its original 1,100 lb weight in tube and fabric with larger control surfaces for lower speeds. Of course, power-off handling would be, ahem, interesting.

912CD9D3-0317-4C49-8144-734207AC58BC.png

pictsidhe

I do remember the S-11, but I am talking about a pure lifting body with conventional airfoil surfaces only for control. The half-conical M2-F1 “light” lifting body could easily be built at half its original 1,100 lb weight in tube and fabric with larger control surfaces for lower speeds. Of course, power-off handling would be, ahem, interesting.

View attachment 102953
Best glide would also be 'interesting'

scramjetter

The picture of the automobile in post 471 brought the lifting bodies to mind. I posted the HL-10 as a nod to the low-aspect ratio group. I wonder if an aircraft in the LSA weight arena could be constructed, maybe even using some sort of inflatable fuselage elements and 3D printing techniques. The glide ratio would be awful no doubt but I bet a model could be built with the LSA low speed regime in mind.

scramjetter