Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Speedboat100

Banned
Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Interestingly, while it is far less extreme in its ultimate incarnation, the roots of the Short SC. 7 Skyvan go back to the joint effort between Miles Aircraft and Hurel-Dubois to develop an efficient low-speed transport. The Hurel-Dubois/Miles HDM-105 was an Aerovan flown with a high aspect ratio wing as a proof-of-concept. The unbuilt HDM-106 was to have been a larger Lycoming piston-powered production version, and the unbuilt HDM-107 and -108 were to have been even larger turboprop models. In the end, Miles closed its doors and the designs were sold to Short Bros., who kept the same concept but simplified and less extreme. Still, the fairly high 11:1 aspect ratio of the Skyvan wing reveals the HDM influence, and of course the Skyvan went on to spawn the S.330 and S.360. I have always found the Skyvan so ugly it's cute. A homebuilt twin of the same configuration carrying around a little electric car would be great fun.

Miles-HDM-105.jpg

105.png 106.png 107.png
skyvan 3-view.jpeg
short-sc-7-skyvan-legkiy-1278.jpg

See The Hurel-Dubois and Miles collaboration: Skyvan ancestors

Last edited:

Speedboat100

Banned
Interestingly, while it is far less extreme in its ultimate incarnation, the roots of the Short SC. 7 Skyvan go back to the joint effort between Miles Aircraft and Hurel-Dubois to develop an efficient low-speed transport. The Hurel-Dubois/Miles HDM-105 was an Aerovan flown with a high aspect ratio wing as a proof-of-concept. The unbuilt HDM-106 was to have been a larger Lycoming piston-powered production version, and the unbuilt HDM-107 and -108 were to have been even larger turboprop models. In the end, Miles closed its doors and the designs were sold to Short, which kept the same concept but simplified and less extreme. Still, the fairly high 11:1 aspect ratio of the Skyvan wing reveals that HDM influence, and of course the Skyvan went on to spawn the S.330 and S.360. I have always found the Skyvan so ugly it's cute. A homebuilt twin of the same configuration carrying around a little electric car would be great fun.

View attachment 102849

View attachment 102848 View attachment 102847 View attachment 102846
View attachment 102845
View attachment 102850

Yes yes yes !

Could the car be this one ?

3wheeleronmars.jpg

pictsidhe

Interestingly, while it is far less extreme in its ultimate incarnation, the roots of the Short SC. 7 Skyvan go back to the joint effort between Miles Aircraft and Hurel-Dubois to develop an efficient low-speed transport. The Hurel-Dubois/Miles HDM-105 was an Aerovan flown with a high aspect ratio wing as a proof-of-concept. The unbuilt HDM-106 was to have been a larger Lycoming piston-powered production version, and the unbuilt HDM-107 and -108 were to have been even larger turboprop models. In the end, Miles closed its doors and the designs were sold to Short Bros., who kept the same concept but simplified and less extreme. Still, the fairly high 11:1 aspect ratio of the Skyvan wing reveals the HDM influence, and of course the Skyvan went on to spawn the S.330 and S.360. I have always found the Skyvan so ugly it's cute. A homebuilt twin of the same configuration carrying around a little electric car would be great fun.

View attachment 102849

View attachment 102848 View attachment 102847 View attachment 102846
View attachment 102845
View attachment 102850

I agree with 'so ugly, it's cute' I like the idea of a flying RV. A pair of electric scooters should be adequate for transport.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hehe, we have had a similar thread in the past including examples from Emilien Croses, Dean Wilson, and Marcel Jurca.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
I agree with 'so ugly, it's cute' I like the idea of a flying RV. A pair of electric scooters should be adequate for transport.
But if look at any other planes with similar mission like an-28 - it do not look right.

Skywan look "harmonic" with its all boxy like structure..

Last edited:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Box or no box could be summarised in one way - if you do not need pressurised cab - both coud be good. If pressurised - only round is good.

About drag - i have seen cd table in one old gliders box, and fuselage with round/eliptic surface, hade drag of 0.2, boxy one have 0.27. But yuo use space of box better..