Quantcast

Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

poormansairforce

With due respect to all the expertise on this board, I had thought that someone would have answered this quiz from a few days ago on the Piaggio-Pegna PC7.
I already answered it, I just didn't use 500 words to do so! As soon as the prop gets on top(in seconds) everything else is a mute point because it won't go anywhere.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Another I like is the original Navion. This may not make sense to everyone, but beautiful might not be the right word to describe it... I would use the word “handsome” instead. It has nice lines with a decidedly masculine look.

Rik-

With due respect to all the expertise on this board, I had thought that someone would have answered this quiz from a few days ago on the Piaggio-Pegna PC7. The minor design problem was that the rear hydrofoil surface was below the water prop, thus lifting the water prop out of the water as they tried to take off (and at one point only the bottom blade of the spinning prop would have been in the water, causing the aircraft to slew to one side)....easy fix, just move the rear hydrofoil above the prop. The major design problem was - perhaps you've noted that all hydrofoil boats rise out of the water horizontally - here the designer is thinking taildragger, thus the AOA of the front hydrofoils increases as they begin to lift the fuselage out of the water. This causes a tremendous increase in water drag and possibly cavitation across the upper surface of the hydrofoil. As the upper surface of the front hydrofoil reaches the water's surface, it would throw up a tremendous spray. And, the increased water drag effect would probably not be symmetrical, causing the aircraft to divert left or right. The official cause of the unsuccessful flight attempts was "problems with the rear prop clutch"...yeah, trying to pump 900 Hp through that water prop due to the water drag of the hydrofoils at high AOA. And, consider this - if the pilot had succeeded in getting the PC7 into the air, what about the landing? As the aircraft touched down on the water's surface, the water drag would have caused the nose to pitch down, causing the hydrofoils to dig in, smashing the long nose into the water. Somewhat like landing a wheeled taildragger aircraft with the brakes locked....ouchView attachment 102567View attachment 102568
This takeoff attempt photo appears to have been heavily retouched...
View attachment 102569
Not exactly. The problems were the thrust not the foils.

The foil idea works, even in landing.

Attachments

robertl

I can't believe there are not more here on this site that have not said the Staggerwing. I would kill to own one. I had the pleasure to fly in one and I will never forget the tone of the P&W and the smoothness of how she handled. What a dream machine ......
Oh, it got my vote early on!