Quantcast

Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Banned
My neighbor had 2 Yak 3 projects with 4 allison engines at one time several years ago. It's a hotrod, I really like it. Its really a small fighter compared to most others. Top speed is 401 mph. Turn the sound up for the video.

Call me a heretic, but I think the Yaks are better looking than the British fighters.

Now, I'll probably get flamed-out for this too, but I also think these were good looking planes.

Me-262-High-Angle-LR.jpg

Last edited:

Riggerrob

When I worked as a skydiving instructor, other jumpers asked me which was my favourite airplane.
"The airplane that is taking off next!" because I needed to make a dozen jumps per day to make a living.
Shorts Skyvan is the best combination of size (20 skydivers) and door (ramp 2 metres by 2 metres).

poormansairforce

However, many attempts to fly the aircraft ended in failure - it could not get off the water. There were two fundamental design faults - one minor and one major - that made this concept unworkable. The side view below gives a strong hint... let's see if anyone can guess what these design faults were...
The back end of the plane so light, as well as the AOA, the prop is just going to want to climb up on top of the water and never get up to speed.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I worked as a skydiving instructor, other jumpers asked me which was my favourite airplane.
"The airplane that is taking off next!" because I needed to make a dozen jumps per day to make a living.
Shorts Skyvan is the best combination of size (20 skydivers) and door (ramp 2 metres by 2 metres).
With 10 jumpers in the B-18, I would tell the jumper that they would need more help getting me out the jump door.

Riggerrob

With 10 jumpers in the B-18, I would tell the jumper that they would need more help getting me out the jump door.
World War 2 surplus Beechcraft B-18 has a tiny, oval door. If you spread your elbows, the entire team could not force you out.

That tiny door is the reason that no-show, ten-man speed-stars were the ultimate contest of "manly" skydiving. Rugby players completed games with fewer bruises, skinned shins, dislocated shoulders, broken noses, etc.
Post-war versions of Beech 18s had rectangular, air-stair doors that made exits easier, but the best were after-market, double-wide, cargo doors. Even a limp-wristed sissy could exit those without bruises.
Hah!
Hah!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
World War 2 surplus Beechcraft B-18 has a tiny, oval door. If you spread your elbows, the entire team could not force you out.

That tiny door is the reason that no-show, ten-man speed-stars were the ultimate contest of "manly" skydiving. Rugby players completed games with fewer bruises, skinned shins, dislocated shoulders, broken noses, etc.
Post-war versions of Beech 18s had rectangular, air-stair doors that made exits easier, but the best were after-market, double-wide, cargo doors. Even a limp-wristed sissy could exit those without bruises.
Hah!
Hah!
I help install and large cargo opening with tracks to roll up a large plexiglass door in the tracks that went across the ceiling. Also installed an outside foot rail and hand rail on the outside fore and aft the cargo door. Four on the outside and two in the door and the others lined up behind. I used to lay on the floor beside the door and blink your eyes and everyone would be gone. Then I would roll over and lay in the floor and have my head outside and look down and watch then free fall out of sight. Had a seat belt wrapped around my arm that was bolted to the floor. Just thinking--- If I fell out, John would have to put the airplane on auto pilot and leave the left seat and come back and pull me back in. Heck, that wouldn't work the 18 didn't have an auto-pilot. Darn.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
I flew a 182 and an Airvan for parachute ops. The veteran divers would be able to go out along the wing strut, flip their legs up and hang off the wing upside down,kept in place by the airload. You'd have right boot on to keep straight. they'd simply straighten their legs and fall awy under the wing. One guy actually went over the top of the wing and nearly hit the stabiliser so he was invited to leave the DZ. the camera guys would hang on the outside of an door-equipped aircraft like the Islander or Airvan, using a permanent rail over the door, so they could film the tandems as they rolled out the door. Sports jumpers were the best and the worst, because they were always the quickest out but would also try pranks against the pilot, such as stealing the ignition key. I had to punch one guy to stop him doing that. We always carried a spare key. Most of them were great fun, though.

TarDevil

Once at altitude I loved getting outside the plane until lined up on our run.

Agree that many of the jumpers were pranksters, but I had foul words for one of the pilots that buzzed me under canopy. I eventually agreed with my Dad that the drop zone (that one, specifically) was full of cowboys and withdrew.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Once at altitude I loved getting outside the plane until lined up on our run.

Agree that many of the jumpers were pranksters, but I had foul words for one of the pilots that buzzed me under canopy. I eventually agreed with my Dad that the drop zone (that one, specifically) was full of cowboys and withdrew.
Talking about cowboys-- Had a jumper that would grab the mag keys quickly and turn the mag switch off and take the keys with him as he jumped out of the C-182.

TarDevil

One of the most striking factory designed aircraft - in my eye - was the Mooney 301.
Though a version of it went on to production, TBM just didn't do it justice visually.
1601666549550.png