Quantcast

Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Wild Bill

So many great looking airplanes. Hard to pick just one.
The short lived lancair evolution is definitely worthy.
Most of the racers, sailplanes, and even business jets look beautiful to me.
I haven’t seen it mentioned so I’m sharing the Heston Type 5

Attachments

speedracer

I saw the one George Morse built, it was beautiful, had a Rover V8 in it. I think George also designed it, he was from Watsonville Calif.
I have a Prowler engine in my hanger. It's an aluminum 215 Oldsmobile block with a Buick 300 crankshaft for 266 cu. in. It's (supposed) to produce 250 HP @ 4342 RPM (prop 2,600 RPM) It has the reduction unit but no carb. Anyone wants it for $500.00 come and get it in Hood River, OR. Bob 541 980-1723.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
As Pop said all planes are beautiful but a big plus when they can make you some money. Piper Pawnee has always held a nice view for meView attachment 102272
Agree with that. My old 1959 straight tail C-172 with no paint to save weight, doors off most of the time, single seat for me most of the time to save weight and camera holes in the floor, cramera flip down glass doors in the rear side doors and all the latest King IFR panel, and autopilot, flown in the Restricted Category workplane was beautiful to me. Liked the money it made.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have a Prowler engine in my hanger. It's an aluminum 215 Oldsmobile block with a Buick 300 crankshaft for 266 cu. in. It's (supposed) to produce 250 HP @ 4342 RPM (prop 2,600 RPM) It has the reduction unit but no carb. Anyone wants it for $500.00 come and get it in Hood River, OR. Bob 541 980-1723.
Had the same engine in a 1968 VW bug built on a box steel frame. Nice power and a great engine. Someone needs to grab that up.

pictsidhe

Jeez, you're the other side of the continent, or I would!

Mad MAC

Its it bad that I see these aircraft and think of the technical details that I find interesting about them.

DH Hornet, wood bonded to aluminum
Heston Type 5, race spec Napier Sabre (just what could they have got out of a late war engine)
K Max, most recently certificated airframe with wooden rotors.

Anyway, Hawker HindUK103191.JPG

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Jeez, you're the other side of the continent, or I would!
Me too. My Buick engine came from WY and a local friend was out there Bear hunting and picked it up for me.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
@don january , Want something kinda ugly but makes more money than a stripper on payday?

Wow, I can't see how that makes economic sense unless lumber is a worth a LOT there or that is some very special wood. Harvesting pine in the southeast US is barely a break even proposition today even when done in the most low-budget, direct way possible, trucked straight to nearby mills. A helicopter? They'd laugh you out of town.

cblink.007

Wow, I can't see how that makes economic sense unless lumber is a worth a LOT there or that is some very special wood. Harvesting pine in the southeast US is barely a break even proposition today even when done in the most low-budget, direct way possible, trucked straight to nearby mills. A helicopter? They'd laugh you out of town.
I agree with you, helicopters will never make economic sense, but the K-Max is probably the best bang for the buck in heli-logging nowadays! Had the chance to fly one at USNTPS, probably the easiest rotorcraft I have ever flown! I still love my Osprey; when I get back from my honeymoon in a week I get to try my hand at a thing called "Valor"...