Mosler 1/2 VW

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by GHvizdak, Feb 12, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2003 #1

GHvizdak

GHvizdak

GHvizdak

Mosler 1/2 VW/TEC

Just acquired a Sparrow UL with a 2 cylinder 4 stroke. Books with it are from Mosler, but I was told they were out of business. The engine has no Mosler markings on it. Have not flown it yet, needs some going over. Any help appreciated. Has a 54/24 prop on it (wooden).UPDATE-After some research, learned the motor is aTEC 1083cc.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2003
  2. Mar 6, 2010 #2

heavyliftpilot

heavyliftpilot

heavyliftpilot

Hi GHvizdak, I recently bought a minimax with the TEC engine on it. the hobbs meter says 300+ on it, but i have not yet to start it (i left for Afghanistan shortly after purchasing the plane). I do know I'm not getting any spark, and probably have to exchange the magneto for a rebuilt one. I also did some research on the TEC line of engines. I guess they sold all the stock to Preceptor A/C. That might be a good place to start if you have questions. Happy flying!

3. Mar 6, 2010 #3

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Preceptor does offer an engine case and heads for the Mosler engine. However, you can go through Scott at Hummel Engines or the fine folks at Great Planes and get everything you will need. Steve Bennitt at GP or Scott at Hummel Engines will also answer their phones and speak with you as well. Sure beats getting an answering machine or being placed on hold and the line disconnected.

4. Nov 27, 2012 #4

theecoop

theecoop

theecoop

anyone have a pattern for the mosler engine mount? Looking to put on a HI-Max

5. Sep 15, 2013 #5

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

Don't know if you still need this info or not. Using the crankshaft for a centerpoint, 4 inches up for the upper mount points and 4 inches down for the lower mount points. The upper points are 3.7 inches each side of center and the lowers are 4.0 inches each side of center. The uppers may either be threaded for 3/8 X 24 studs or may be drilled through to use a through bolt and the lowers are blind holes threaded 3/8 X 24. Make sure to allow about 6 inches of room between the mount points on the engine and the firewall for the Magneto.

Fred

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013