More rocks being thrown at aviation

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by PTAirco, Jun 13, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

New York Flight Schools Face Tax Fight

Without making a change to any existing law, merely by "interpreting" something differently, these people can wipe out businesses and make perfectly law-abiding citizens into tax-evaders.

Why does aviation/flying attract constant attacks?? Well, that is a rhetorical question - we all know we're rich bastards who got our money by exploiting the poor and have nothing better to do than evade taxes, make a horrible nuisance of ourselves with the deafening roar of our little airplanes and have no qualms about ruining the health of little babies with our Avgas and wrecking the environment with those runway things. Did I miss something?

2. Jun 13, 2013 #2

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Shouldn't those training aircrafts be considered just like office equipments? All my office equipments are leased and the leased payment is part of business expenses, and I always had to pay sale taxes for the leases. This arrangement seems to be for the aviation industry only.

3. Jun 13, 2013 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

NY tax collectors must be caught in the same kind of thinking that makes some pilots keep pulling back on the stick as the plane descends with the stall warning blaring in their ear. It's no wonder companies are fleeing that state. New York's treasury is going to end their ride in the same way :dead:

It's going to be hardest on the small guy that can't afford to move his LLC to another state.

bmcj and Topaz like this.
  4. Jun 14, 2013 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

5. Jun 14, 2013 #5

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Just call up some guy in Vegas and register there. Takes 5 minutes.

6. Jun 14, 2013 #6
    I don't think it's because people think pilots are rich. Much more likely is jealousy due to the common perception that pilots are more intelligent than average.

'The adjuration to be "normal" seems shockingly repellent to me; I see neither hope nor comfort in sinking to that low level. I think it is ignorance that makes people think of abnormality only with horror and allows them to remain undismayed at the proximity of "normal" to average and mediocre. For surely anyone who achieves anything is, essentially, abnormal. -- Dr. Karl Menninger, "The Human Mind", 1930'

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  7. Jun 14, 2013 #7

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I'm stealing that quote!

8. Jun 14, 2013 #8

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

Not so much jealousy as it is that sheeple don't like it when individuals act like individuals and do something other than the status quo. You see the same thing with hunting. People who don't hunt are pretty quick to condemn those who do. The thinking seems to be "I don't see a reason or have a desire to participate in that activity, so no other person should either". More and more of that mindset seems to be flooding our society as of late. SMH

Then again, I'm pissed at the EAA for giving in to the FAA too. Airventure 2014 will not be on my "To Do" list if this continues.

I quit counting how many strikes I can have against me, but it is quite a few LOL. Middle class, small business owner, conservative, God fearing, entrepreneur, white, male, hunter, gun enthusiast, (student) pilot, and airplane owner (builder). There's eleven off the top of my head (in no particular order)!

George Herbert likes this.
  9. Jun 14, 2013 #9

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Those are strikes? How about interest in military tech.

10. Jun 14, 2013 #10

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

Forgot about that one. None are espoused as positive attributes as of late.

11. Jun 15, 2013 #11
    Got to admit that apart from the aviation related bits, as an Atheistic, Conservationist, Anarchist African Astrophysicist you probably wouldn't get onto my guest list.

(That's apart from not being female - which pretty much disqualifies you anyway.) ;^}

12. Jun 15, 2013 #12
    Got to admit that apart from the aviation related bits, speaking as an Atheistic, Conservationist, Anarchist Pacifist Astrophysicist who has voluntarily lived in some of the poorest countries in the world for nearly three decades you probably wouldn't get onto my guest list.

(That's apart from you being neither African nor female - which pretty much disqualifies you anyway.) ;^}

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  13. Jun 15, 2013 #13

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

Well, I believe that I can find common ground with just about anyone, so you would be welcome at my table any time.

14. Jun 16, 2013 #14

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

The list of 'objections' to airplane users is basically the 'dog in the manger' attitude (see aesop's fables) --those who deem that they are 'missing out' want to deny some goodies to those who enjoy them --the noise issue is legitimate but probably overblown in many cases and a convenient excuse (not to say that aircraft need not be made much quieter and the worse offenders are often helicopters that put out a lot of noise and hover while doing so so that the racket isn't dissappearing as for an overflying airplane )
    Apart from the deep green fanatics ,not many of the same public protest about Boeings or Airbuses BECAUSE they can get some benefit from them in the form of cheap and easy overseas holidays and vacation travel etc --therein lies the solution to getting regulated out of the sky ; bring everybody (or at least a majority of voters) ON BOARD by making small aircraft a PUBLIC assett in the same way that they can perceive big aircraft to be . Yes, this means personal air/road vehicles and Aircabs available for hire to all --as soon as you get a few headlines like "heart attack victim saved by alert flying neighbour --aircar gets to hospital before ambulance leaves the depot" or "pilot spots burglary underway and directs police to scene of crime" -- or in Australia, "Flying residents see bushfire before it gets out of hand --water bombing stops conflagration" etc etc --when we get a truly airborne society ,a real 'air age' that involves anybody who wants to avail themselves of the benefits you can not really eradicate the ingrained attitude against the 'flying silvertails' .

One book I had quoted the US air Navigation act as confirming that "there exists a right of every US citizen to use the navigable airspace of the USA " _ is that still the case?

15. Jun 16, 2013 #15
    Won't be able to make it today, I have a dinner appointment with two delightful, dark-skinned Moslem ladies. (Their brother wants to talk about the possibility of building a float plane for travel around Lake Victoria).

16. Jun 16, 2013 #16

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

LOL

Plus, you taught me something new today; I looked it up because I didn't realize that Moslem is an acceptable spelling for the more common (stateside spelling) of Muslim.

17. Jun 19, 2013 #17

Southron

Southron

Southron

Seems to me that just living in New York is it's own punishment, I feel sorry for those that are stuck there and can't get out. New York politicians and bureaucrats have this crazy idea that the public lives to serve them.

18. Jun 19, 2013 #18

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

That's not fair, we need politicians to save us from biggie size drinks!

19. Jun 20, 2013 #19

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

The beauty of a "right" is that it just "is".... Exercise of a right cannot be converted to a crime in the US. Of course, there are many people who buy into the rhetoric that driving a car or flying an airplane is a "privilege", but there are many, many court cases confirming they are in fact rights. The biggest threat we have is the willingness of the average, ignorant American to hand over their rights. Many people forget that the US Government exists to serve the people, not the other way around.