• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

More on Horten Twist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

In the book "Tailless Aircraft in Theory and Practice", it says that Equation 6.3.8 describes the Horten bell shape lift distribution. Then on the same page (in my copy) is Figure 6.3.4 that shows the resulting curve.

I created a new spreadsheet that uses Equation 6.3.8 to calculate the twist. Just now got it working, and plugged the twist numbers into XFLR5. It turns out that it is NOT a sine^3 (cubed) distribution, but closer to a plain sine curve. The text in the book says that this eliminates adverse yaw and, in fact, creates proverse yaw. From what I have been reading I thought that you needed at least sine^2.5, and preferably sine^3 to create proverse yaw.

There is another equation, 6.3.6, that does give something that looks more like a sine^3, except that the region near the wing tips produces negative lift. The text says that it has vanishing adverse yaw. The problem with this equation, according to the text, is that it produces a lot more induced drag.

Can anyone clarify this?

Back