Mooney (MX-18) Mite Plans....worth??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

This from the Macky site:

I was able to learn from the Mooney Mite Site that 283 Mites had been built and of these, the last model built, the C-55, had a larger cockpit and canopy. Only 35 of these were produced. I decided after sitting in a C-55 cockpit, that this was what I wanted. It was much more comfortable than the earlier models however, finding a C-55 looked like it would be nearly impossible.

Reactions: BJC

Derswede

Found this and a footnote on the M19 Military Mite! Hmmm..paintballl guns and some Estes model rockets would make an interesting experience...paint it up like a Spitfire and go have fun!

Article notes:
"As long as you are shopping for a Mite, you should know that the fifty airplanes built in Kerrville had a different cockpit set-up. They lengthened, widened and deepened the cockpit, becoming much more comfortable for bigger pilots. Actually a big pilot probably couldn't get into the usual Mite cockpit without coating himself with two layers of peanut oil.

There is also one other version of the airplane that really tickles the imagination. A single M-19 was built, which was the Mite with a C-90 engine, bigger cockpit and (get this) a .30 caliber machine gun under each wing. No, it wasn't for Texas ranchers to go chasing coyotes or rustlers . . . this was yet another of the COIN fighter concepts that never caught on."

Show up at Oshkosh and park in the WarBirds section! That would cause a stir.

Derswede

Hephaestus

I know NASM has their archives... But curious - anyone run across a full set of mite plans digitally for reference?

Last edited:

Woodenwings

I have all of that.
I bought the plans. They were brittle and old. Mostly complete. I made photographic copies. And an excel drawing list etc.

It took yonks to complete. If anyone wants to throw me a wee cash gift to help pay for some new oracoat and AN fasteners we could exchange resources.

If nothing else the drawings are cool to look over. The drawings for the steel fuselage are complex. I made a partial 3d model. Then i started another project.

I wont be building the mite now. But i may borrow some technical features for future projects.

Shane

rscmd

To dig up an older string, @Woodenwings, I'd be willing to donate some wee cash to your AN fastner and Oracoat fund to exchange resources if still available.
Thanks,

Russell

kharberg

I have all of that.
I bought the plans. They were brittle and old. Mostly complete. I made photographic copies. And an excel drawing list etc.

It took yonks to complete. If anyone wants to throw me a wee cash gift to help pay for some new oracoat and AN fasteners we could exchange resources.

If nothing else the drawings are cool to look over. The drawings for the steel fuselage are complex. I made a partial 3d model. Then i started another project.

I wont be building the mite now. But i may borrow some technical features for future projects.

Shane
CGXTR FUSELAGE ON JIG Jacobson.jpg
Here's a photo of the Mooney Mite M-18X metal fuselage (unskinned).

Woodenwings

I made a 3d model of the chromolly frame from the drawings. Not easy!
The entire empennage pivots for trim...including the fin..that is where the funny shape originates!

kharberg

Curious as to whether you have the wing digitized. Would love to see one in carbon fibre (in my opinion, the most beautiful general aviation wing M-18/M-20).

Attachments

• C-GXTR ABOVE AFT.JPG
    C-GXTR ABOVE AFT.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 1

Woodenwings

Not the wing. I was focused on retracts. The wing is very straight forward. I would stick to wood though! Cause i like wooden wings 🤣.

Carbon would require a total redesign.

Woodenwings

Not the wing. I was focused on retracts. The wing is very straight forward. I would stick to wood though! Cause i like wooden wings 🤣.

Carbon would require a total redesign.
Oh...digitised as in electronic copies of wing drawings....yes...i thought you meant solid models (3d models).

I have all 340 drawings ! Wing is well defined in drawings.

Woodenwings

For those who reached out to me for copies....i have been busy with work and family. Pm me and we can work out the details.