• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mooney Mite restoration/ upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

Scott Royall of EAA chapter 23 is restoring and upgrading a Mooney Mite. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of the history but I do have his permission tho post this write up. The wings and fuselage came from different aircraft. I'm not sure if the fuselage was one of the original factory built (aside from the steel tube structure which Scott tells me all came from wrecked factory built aircraft) our was built from plans. The wing was built from plans by a gentleman who killed himself in another plane that he built but Scott tested it too limit load and it defected 9 inches but returned to it's original shape when the weight was removed. It was also built with epoxy instead of the casein glue specified in the plans. The glue in the aft bulkhead in the tail cone had rotted out by the time Scott got to it. He replaced all rotted wood used fiberglass tapes to better secure the bulkheads, and glassed the exterior with 2 plys of 4oz glass cloth.20170415_142550.jpg20170415_142658.jpg

The major modification is the addition of a pressure recovery cowl and the engine is a a-65-12. I may have this wrong but it's a c case with a few a internals. It's also been upgraded to deliver 90 up.
4431.jpg

I have more pics but I don't have internet in my new house and I'm outta patience uploading from my phone. So I will post some more later.

Back