Mooney appears to be in big trouble

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Topaz, Jan 9, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:00 PM #61

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Any body know the Mooneys income split between manufacturing and after market, the list price for the 14 airframes they sell a year looks to cover the cost of the 55 staff and parts is always the best margin, so profit should be a reflection of product support (assuming no management stupidity).

Success in GA is all about overheads matching income, not hard to have a small hiccup and not get any orders for 8 months regardless of the economy's state, single airframe type manufacturing is really hard, attempting to add volume by building 2 seat trainers profitably is really really hard. Probably means we really should pay far more attentions to Tecnam as they are the only ones I can think of that manufacture a proper broad swath of modern GA types.

2. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:53 PM #62

PiperCruisin

PiperCruisin

PiperCruisin

I asked my wife if I could do speedriding. She said to go for it. Maybe she wants me dead.

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:56 PM #63

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

When I went to A&P school !(#&$ years ago, one of the instructors was Mr. Angus Eugene Murphy. He told us students that he really really wanted to have a Mooney, but he would never be able to own one because he was a bit too big to be comfortable in it, and he was absolutely too big to work on it. He explained, in painful detail, just how difficult the Mooney is to access a lot of the stuff in there. The fact that there are one or two highly specialized shops where a lot of the owners have to go to deal with Mooneys says a lot. I'm sure it's a great airplane, and I know there are very loyal owners. Butt if an average owner is driven bonkers by what it takes to do simple maintenance, and finally gives up and goes to Lake Aero....

4. Jan 14, 2020 at 9:42 PM #64

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

5. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:56 PM #65

Pops

Pops

Pops

Think there is a lot of truth there.

Mooney's cockpit is just to small for me and for flying, I prefer the more comfortable Bellanca Super Viking and also the handling over the Mooney. But I would buy the Mooney because of the Bellanca's wood wings needing the be in a hanger all the time. Transit aircraft usually has to just tie down for the night.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:05 PM
  6. Jan 14, 2020 at 11:03 PM #66

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Pops, was it Mr. Payne you were friends with? Was his shop really in the middle of a race track?

Pops likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM #67

TFF

TFF

TFF

The original wooden tails had a lingering effect. A friend and I would show up in his E and people would say “ keep the tail on.” The widest point of the cabin is the same as a Bonanza. The Beech is at chest level and the Mooney is at hip level. When you climb in a Bonanza that high gear makes you feel special. The Mooney is low like a sports car. A lot of people don’t get sports cars.

I’m pretty sure once Socata saw the Mooney factory, they were expecting General Motors not a barn. They were pretty sure Mooney was not going to be able to front the financing and facilities to pull off that expensive if a plane.

8. Jan 14, 2020 at 11:28 PM #68

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Put some bubble side windows on it. Get several inches extra room and can see over the side.

9. Jan 15, 2020 at 4:01 AM #69

Pops

Pops

Pops

The Super Rocket was built by John Harris, Owner and President of WV Steel for Bellanca. It was built in one of John's company building near the ONA airport that also has the race track. I don't know for sure, but I think he helped finance the project. He hired help in building the airplane and all the factory molds. It was designed for production from the beginning. We had several mutual friends. John was probable worth about a billion dollars at the time, John drove an old junk 4 door Pontiac car that looked like it was held together with rust. We unloaded the prop for the airplane from the rear seat of that junk car. John was also the test pilot.
    I never saw or meet Henry Payne.
    My old flight instructor ( Since 1937) and I were close friends, and he was also a close friend of John's, so that is how I came in contact with John and the project.
    The man standing in front of the airplane is John Harris.

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/print_selections/96198339?type=6
    https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/making-a-smoother-and-speedier-airplane-95255775/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 4:13 AM
    BoKu likes this.