Monocoupe Fuselage?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
Hi All,

One of our looong time chapter members passed away and I'm helping the family clean out his hangar.

There's a Monocoupe fuselage hanging from the rafters (so far we can't find any paperwork). I'm trying to find some Monocoupe folks to help me find a good home for it, anyone got any ideas?

P.S. the Monocoupe type club has pretty much folded up.

Thanks
Fritz

TFF

Unless it is a real short wing, they are not worth too much. You could build some wings and have a cool plane.

FritzW

Log Member
Without an ID plate or paperwork it's not worth much more than scrap, but it might be a good parts donor for someone restoring a Monocoupe. ...I'd sure hate to see that happen though. Too many old classics slip into oblivion that way.

TFF

If its solid someone will want it. Ad on barnstormers will have it gone. If I was closer I would be on it. I know someone who restored one probably still has his jigs.

Turd Ferguson

Hi All,

One of our looong time chapter members passed away and I'm helping the family clean out his hangar.

There's a Monocoupe fuselage hanging from the rafters (so far we can't find any paperwork). I'm trying to find some Monocoupe folks to help me find a good home for it, anyone got any ideas?

P.S. the Monocoupe type club has pretty much folded up.

Thanks
Fritz
I have a line drawing of a monocoupe fuselage at home. Give me till Mon and l try to post a pic

Rockiedog2

Without an ID plate or paperwork it's not worth much more than scrap, but it might be a good parts donor for someone restoring a Monocoupe. ...I'd sure hate to see that happen though. Too many old classics slip into oblivion that way.
I would think if one built everything but the fuse it likely would qualify for EAB 51%. Just have to check with a DAR or somebody and see. No data plate/paperwork required. The QB RV's have about the whole basic fuse done.

Victor Bravo

Put it on Barnstormers and you will have an immediate and clear indication of the level of "public" interest in it.

I believe that it would qualify as E-AB if someone took a bare fuselage and built everything else, especially if the fuselage was just a frame. If the fuselage is more of "a complete airplane less wings", then it will be hard to build a legit E-AB. So for the E-AB possibility, the $64 question is how much of a fuselage is it. An E-AB will also be a lot easier to build if it started with an "antique fuselage frame of unknown origin and without a data plate".

The other big variable is how important was this to the person who passed away? Was it his life long dream to have a Monocoupe... would the family see it as a moving tribute to him if it were finished... would the EAA member or his family not care, and just want the rafters cleaned out?

The reason I'm saying this is because it will determine the price and terms of the sale. I've given away airplane projects because I wanted to see it go to a good home, or be rebuilt by someone who cares, or in one recent case because I wanted to help further a worthy engine development cause. I've also sold stuff to get it gone and didn't care what happened to it.

There is also a really REALLY good little aviation classified newspaper called Aviator's Bulletin, which is published in Ojai, CA. Lots of interesting stuff that is not advertised elsewhere. Definitely worth the ten or fifteen bucks to get that magazine, ads are free for subscribers.

If you want to really "do the right thing" on the level of a true aviator (that's you, Fritz :) ) I have two other ideas:

1) get the information about this airplane to Santa Paula Airport here just NW of Los Angeles. That is one of the "center of the world" places for antique airplanes. Call the airport manager Rowena Mason, and ask her for the e-mail or whatever, and send her the flyer, photos, whatever. She knows everyone, she's part of the asphalt at that airport since birth, and is hooked into all the correct circles for aircraft such as this.

2) Make sure Pete Plumb knows about this (if he doesn't already see it here), because anyone wanting a Monocoupe will need wooden wings that are worthy of such an aircraft. Pete is the top (or is one of the top three) aircraft woodworkers and wing builders in the US. So he will likely know or be known by anyone in those circles.

3) One name that is most often associated with the Monocoupes is Bud Dake, who is apparently the Grand Guru of instructors and pilots in the Clip-Wings. I don't know him, I just remember his name.

*sigh* ... If only someone with a woodworking CNC machine, CAD capabilities, wooden aircraft experience, and a personal love for wooden aircraft were to begin looking around at Monocoupe drawings... *sigh* :devious:

Kevin N

Bud Dake indeed WAS a Monocoupe expert. He died many years ago in a Monocoupe accident. Shouldn't be hard to find somebody wanting anything from an original Monocoupe. Monocoupe guys are a cult.

Rockiedog2

from VB

>>>If only someone with a woodworking CNC machine, CAD capabilities, wooden aircraft experience, and a personal love for wooden aircraft were to begin looking around at Monocoupe drawings..<<<

or how bout if we can't find any drawings just research it til we got enough then build it with a pencil and ruler and saw and router and hammer and eyeballs. like they did it when it was new.

if I wasn't so **** old I would go get that fuse and bring it home and start in on it all. it wouldn't be hard just a lot of it.

Pops

Log Member
I know where their is about 15 semi truck loads of airplane parts from the 1920's- to the 1940's. Monocoupe fuselage hanging on a wall. About a 10' dia 4 blade prop, etc, etc, Lots of NOS aircraft engine parts. The owner is about 50 years old and the parts are what is father and grandfather collected. I have bought a few parts from him in the past and he would stay in contact with me, but he moved to FA about 10 years ago and I haven't been able to locate him. I know where is grandmother used to live but she is dead now. He has a gold mine in old parts and couldn't care less. He did call me in 2004 and tell me about a same as new 1959 Cessna 172 that I bought.

Dan

FritzW

Log Member
...If only someone with a woodworking CNC machine, CAD capabilities, wooden aircraft experience, and a personal love for wooden aircraft were to begin looking around at Monocoupe drawings...
:roll: That's the first thing that went through my head when I saw the fuselage hanging there. ...especially since I have access to a couple of Lamberts.

I think the FAA is getting less and less tolerant of people using major components from "store bought" airplanes to build EAB's but it still happens. Think of all the Miranda's, Woody Pushers and Breezy's out there with Cessna 120/140 wings.

I got in contact with the remnants of the Monocoupe type club on facebook, hopefully I can find a good home for this thing.

P.S. I bought two O-200's from the family, one of them might go on a Baby Ace (XL) fuselage I've got sitting in my hangar ...right next to a set of freshly reconditioned 140 wings, ...hummm

Kevin N

I have some experience with a particular Monocoupe. For many years my hangar partner was Harold Neumann. His 'coupe is now in the EAA museum. Harold's 'coupe had a rebuild in '66 when he bought it then in '83 the I/A would no longer sign the annual off due to bad fabric on the fuselage and some deteriorating wood formers and stringers. We did the recover of the fuselage right in the hangar with no rotisserie and just two saw horses. (engine stayed on) Me, being the youngest and most limber got all the underneath work. The Monocoupe has a simple fuselage but quite elaborate formers and wood coves that run the entire length of the longerons to give it the unique shape 'coupes are known for. The woodwork took a lot of back and forth to the airport since all the real good woodworking equipment was off site. In spite of all the azz busting I still love Monocoupes. There is a man in Columbia Missouri that is a well known 'coupe wing builder, Harmon Dickerson.

Derswede

Bud Dake indeed WAS a Monocoupe expert. He died many years ago in a Monocoupe accident. Shouldn't be hard to find somebody wanting anything from an original Monocoupe. Monocoupe guys are a cult.
Darn Straight, Once you've gone Coupe, you will never go back. Send me a photo....I can compare it against about 40-50 photos of Coupe fuselages. I assume no data tag.?? Best Monocoupe welder on fuselages was old CV Stewart, who passed some years ago. We had to make two fuselages for N15E. Dickerson is the best, as are the Kimballs and Jim Younkin with his Mullicoupes.

http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com has some good photos.

Derswede (N15E, N101H, N2347, N11733, my favorite).

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Fritz,

While cleaning the barn I found a couple drawings of the Monocoupe 110 fuselage. If you are still trying to decipher the one mentioned in this thread perhaps you can compare with the drawing.

There are about 6-8 pages total appear to be copies of archived drawings. If you are interested I'll be glad to send them to you. Otherwise, they will probably end up in the trash.

Attachments

FritzW

Log Member
...There are about 6-8 pages total appear to be copies of archived drawings. If you are interested I'll be glad to send them to you. Otherwise, they will probably end up in the trash.
PUT DOWN THE DRAWINGS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE TRASH CAN!:uzi:

I'd be happy to take them, thanks! I'll PM you my address.

My buddy, the caretaker of the fuselage, has got it cleaned up and back on the gear (sort of). We still can't find any sort of a serial number on it. I'm afraid that without a serial number it's going to be another cool old airplane that falls off the books forever.

The last few posts have giving me a bunch of names to start googeling, someone's bound to know something about this airplane.

Group Builder