Moni Motorglider

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
^^^^^^^^^^ +1

The Moni is a great concept and configuration. But the 1980's Monnett kit might not have been the very best execution of the concept. This can be illustrated by the differences between the Moni and the later 2 place version (Sonex). You absolutely cannot fault a designer for improving their kits over the years, all kit manufacturers now make much better versions of the original designs.

A modern CNC pre-drilled kit for something the size, shape, and engine size of the Moni (paramotor engine or small block Briggs) would be a huge winner IMHO.

Finn

You want to buy a KFM with a reduction drive? Or keep your money in your pocket and trade us something for it? Our EAA chapter owns a KFM 107 ER and has no use for it. We do have a use for lots of other stuff. Interested?
Please send a PM with any details.
I'd be much obliged!

Longtrip

My Moni Tri-gear that I didn’t build, but finished and prepared for flight test. All known service letters (not bonded but riveted wings), wing root mod, and ruddervader shackle mod. 2 new KFM 107 engines( 30hp & 25HP).SN 334T Excellent workmanship. My health may force a sale😞

Attachments

• 1599ADBC-B43A-40E7-BEB9-D35D72D2A4E8.jpeg
    1599ADBC-B43A-40E7-BEB9-D35D72D2A4E8.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2FB52781-904F-48BC-A0BB-397F18D02AA5.jpeg
    2FB52781-904F-48BC-A0BB-397F18D02AA5.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2439F3ED-DC62-4C63-9E45-96864FA99DAE.jpeg
    2439F3ED-DC62-4C63-9E45-96864FA99DAE.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 73E6536F-E96B-401A-A2BE-2694693EF032.jpeg
    73E6536F-E96B-401A-A2BE-2694693EF032.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 5848557F-8ED4-49DF-887E-269726033DDD.jpeg
    5848557F-8ED4-49DF-887E-269726033DDD.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 52

rjinaz

Thanks a million for the newsletter and diagrame. Building a moni and had not seen this or mentioned on the group site.

wwz7777

Supporting Member
Hi All,

There is an addition to the plans with this mod on it. Log in to the Moni Groups.io site and go to the Files section. The second entry should be "Files Section from old Moni Yahoo Group." It is a Google drive link. Once there, look for a link to "Moni Plans - Drawings and text....." This will take you to the updated plans drawings that have notes incorporated from the newsletters, service bulletins and updates from Monnett. Open "Moni_Plans_Sh21-30.PDF." Page 23 is the exploded view of the flight control system assembly and at the bottom of the page is a sketch of the rudder cable mod. I've also attached that PDF.

Hope this helps!

Bill

Attachments

• Moni_plans_Sh21-30.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

slociviccoupe

Just got kit 149. The moni groups seems to not be working or cant find a files section. Ive read manual 5 or more times and have few things i cant find.
1.) Tri gear plans, mine didnt come with them. Is nose wheel sterable or castering?
2.) Spoilers
3.) Firewall thickness? Dont see it anywhere in plans. Also thrust line not called out.
4.) Motor mount or cowling if usi g a reduction drive, does thrust line move up? ( not using the kfm but may need to move thrust line up to fit the engine and reduction drive, and adverse affects theust line moving up because of reduction drive?)
5.) Read on last page an issue with spar tunnel, longerons and needing a u shaped gusset? Where? And floor not strong enough?

Also any thoughts on how to reinforce firewall for different engine? Without knowing firewall thickness and the corner gussets the original cast kfm mount atatches to being rediculously paper thin. I really dont think it would hold the weight.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Congratulations on finding a Moni kit!

If there is any way you can live without the tri-gear, I'm sure the airplane would really appreciate it. A reinforced and slightly taller version of the original mono-wheel, with properly sized mid-span outriggers, is worth looking into from a weight and drag standpoint. A hundred thousand gliders and motorgliders are somehow functioning with mono-wheels. Moving the tip outriggers inboard a little will allow the airplane to operate on taxiways.

Bill-Higdon

Just got kit 149. The moni groups seems to not be working or cant find a files section. Ive read manual 5 or more times and have few things i cant find.
1.) Tri gear plans, mine didnt come with them. Is nose wheel sterable or castering?
2.) Spoilers
3.) Firewall thickness? Dont see it anywhere in plans. Also thrust line not called out.
4.) Motor mount or cowling if usi g a reduction drive, does thrust line move up? ( not using the kfm but may need to move thrust line up to fit the engine and reduction drive, and adverse affects theust line moving up because of reduction drive?)
5.) Read on last page an issue with spar tunnel, longerons and needing a u shaped gusset? Where? And floor not strong enough?

Also any thoughts on how to reinforce firewall for different engine? Without knowing firewall thickness and the corner gussets the original cast kfm mount atatches to being rediculously paper thin. I really dont think it would hold the weight.
I just went there with out any problems

Warren Hall

The taxi is surprisingly nice with the monowheel, but raise it as mentioned.
What engine ? How about the v twin, pimped to 40 hp, harbour freight or briggs and Straton Vangaurd

slociviccoupe

Its application mono wheel just wont do.
Ive chosen bmw r100. I know people will say too heavy and im adressing that. Im in lines weight wise same as an industrial v twin. My reasoning for not doing a v twin conversion is you buy an engine and rip everything out and hot rod it to make more power. The bmw comes with forged crank, forged rods, nickasil aluminum cylinders, and plenty of cooling. It makes 70hp stock at 7000rpm with no modifications.
All i have to do is put forged pistons in it and a cam. Adjust rod bearing clearances durring rebuild for more oil flow, open up ring end gap and piston to wall. Some slight oiling modifications to fix an inherent oiling issue with them. Other than that its good to go. I will also say anyone who says its too heavy for a conversion more than likely has never converted one or had one infront of them. It is 100% doable. Just takes bolting the engine to the firewall and not on an engine mount. The added weight can be offset and it is same weight as an industrial conversion.

Its application mono wheel just wont do.
Ive chosen bmw r100. I know people will say too heavy and im adressing that. Im in lines weight wise same as an industrial v twin. My reasoning for not doing a v twin conversion is you buy an engine and rip everything out and hot rod it to make more power. The bmw comes with forged crank, forged rods, nickasil aluminum cylinders, and plenty of cooling. It makes 70hp stock at 7000rpm with no modifications.
All i have to do is put forged pistons in it and a cam. Adjust rod bearing clearances durring rebuild for more oil flow, open up ring end gap and piston to wall. Some slight oiling modifications to fix an inherent oiling issue with them. Other than that its good to go. I will also say anyone who says its too heavy for a conversion more than likely has never converted one or had one infront of them. It is 100% doable. Just takes bolting the engine to the firewall and not on an engine mount. The added weight can be offset and it is same weight as an industrial conversion.
I want to hear more! Photos? Sketches? Direct drive?

slociviccoupe

Also i can safely derate it to 40 hp. I previously built a 1/2 vw and they just dont make the power and they are 1960's technology. Not enough cooling and in 1/2 form they take a lot to ballance them.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
The Polini Thor 303 would possibly make an IDEAL powerplant for the stock Moni, probably a bolt-on, no-modification engine itself, and only a "straightened out" exhaust system. It would be light enough to not require any changes to the firewall, and you could make a smoother lower drag cowling.