• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Moment of inertia of Carlson spars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

Carlson supplies extruded 6061 spars used on many different aircraft and they might just be suitable for something I'm doodling on. I asked if they publish data on these such as Ix, Iy etc but had no response. I know I can sit down and dig out my old books and try to calculate it by hand but I haven't done that for 30 years and what do we have the internet for anyway? Has anyone come across these and found the appropriate numbers for them? They are so widely used, I suspect somebody must have. I also noticed at least one discrepancy in the table below, there might be more. They also talk about the "ultimate yield strength" (some terms on the site get used indiscriminately) of the material, so I'm dubious if they have any actual engineering knowledge or just re-sellers of this product.

Carlson Spars.PNG

Back