• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Moldless Composite Wing Fuel Tanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor6

What is the easiest method for building fuel tanks in a moldless composite wing?

Here's my idea using blue Styrofoam: Hotwire the foam to the shape of the fuel tank. Now, since blue Styrofoam does not stand up to gasoline, it surely cannot be used as the core material, so here's how I think I would get around that:

Lay up several layers of glass and resin on the foam core. Once it cures completely, use gasoline to eat away the Styrofoam core. Once all the blue foam is gone, add PVC foam and several inner layers of glass and resin to create a sandwich, obviously one side of the shape will need to be open so work can be done on the inside of the tank.

Here is a video that describes what I'm thinking about doing:

Thanks for your inputs.

Ryan

Back