• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modified GN-1 Aircamper (steel fuselage)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHall

Well, I purchased a started GN1 project (wood) but soon after I got the urge to start over from scratch. The wood work was nice on the project but, I was wanting a different tail group layout and had also thought about changing the lift strut design to more of a Pitts style cabine strut design. I am planning on building a two peace wing using the Riblett 612 airfoil with the standard 60" cord. I will loose about 10sqft with removing the center section wing but, I think I will extend the wing panels by adding cub style bows on the wing tips. I have drawn up a steel tube fuselage in autocad and have a few questions from those who are more experienced in this area that I. The GN1 steel fuselage looks to be way over built for this kind of airframe. I have seen Pietenpol steel fuselages and they are nice and light looking in design with nice open spans with a few cross braces. I want a good strong safe fuselage so if the GN1 fuselage layout is proven in that area I will leave it be. My figures from my solid model in cad show that the fuselage will be sub 70lbs which seems to be a good bit lighter than the wooden fuselage I purchased.

I am having trouble finding some definite details on the Riblett 612 airfoil as far as desired incidence on a GN1. I did find some details for the Pietenpol but, then again I am not sure of the details I found. One drawing i found has the Riblett 612 at 4.1deg of incidence which seems high but??? Any details on this subject would be great. I do plan to have my wing mounted in a way to adjust the incidence at a minimum a few degree for final setup.

Another thing I am eager to find out more on is the BWM R1100 engine that I hope to power this project with. It seems in Europe those engines are proving to be durable and powerful and I think at 90hp and 170lbs it may be a good fit for my project. Anyone have any experience with these engines on a tractor style setup? What kind of fuel burn has been recorded? I saw where on a trike/glider in pusher format at 80Kpm it is only burning like 1.8gal per hour which sounds awesome. There were no details on engine RPM for that speed so maybe someone has more details they can share. Here are a few of my drawing so far. This fuselage is drawn as per the GN-1 plans and I will only be adding a front door and changing the strut layout for a two peace wing. Mike

Attachments

• GN-1 aircamper 03.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 471
  • GN-1 aircamper 04.pdf
    316.1 KB · Views: 280
  • GN-1 aircamper 05.pdf
    254.4 KB · Views: 295
  • GN-1 aircamper 06.pdf
    160.3 KB · Views: 320
Back