Quantcast

modern equivalent to doped canvas?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lurker

apologies if this has been covered(!) elsewhere. not a UL, though maybe one day. i've built a stick kayak frame and am almost ready to cover it,LUGO2265.JPG mid-1960s plans say doped canvas. has technology advanced since then?

WBNH

I have a "kit" for a geodetic aerolite boat that is a similar skin on frame design (by Platt Monfort). His designs use a kevlar roving (cord) spaced every few inches at a 45 to the stringers and ribs, and then they're covered with aviation heat-shrink dacron and varnish. Plenty of vids online showing builds. Could maybe be adapted to your project.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I built an Aerolite single paddle canoe from Platt Monfort's plans nearly 30 years ago, and used the lightest un-certified Dacron from Aircraft Spruce to cover it, glued on with Stitts products, and heat shrunk it per the PolyFiber instructions. I filled the weave with marine spar varnish. In the water, it was transparent enough to see the bottom whizz by.

b7gwap

I have a kayak like that I built in the 1990s. Plain canvas sealed with latex house paint. Still floats.

bifft

The most popular these days is nylon skin with a polyurethane coating for water proofing. Pretty much the same thing they make inflatable boats out of. Others use a beeswax/linseed oil blend to waterproof.

Used a precoated pvc fabric on mine, similar to oratex. Pretty much following these instructions: Wood Frame Kayak Builders Manual - Wood Frame SOF Kayaks by Thomas Yost

Much heavier than aircraft coverings, but we don't often run our airplanes into rocks.

lurker

Nice work. How much does the complete frame weigh?
13&1/2 lb as shown. the rib frames are much heavier than they need to be. if there's a next time, the design will be refined some. polyurethaned most of the wood frame today. it's slow going, shop too small, can't work on it in foul weather.

Last edited: