Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sockmonkey

Now that I think about it, You could probably have the two center ribs be parallel rather than zigging to give the pilot a tad more space.
Would this kind of wing be as easy to build as I think it is?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Leaving a gap in the truss (by making two ribs parallel) would become a weak spot IMHO. In the worst possible place.

We have real live engineers growing on trees here... one of them can easily verify, de-bunk, and/or quantify the uneducated opinion above.

WBNH

Still a fan of the parasol and Piojo...

...but for as the talk turns to midwing, I think swept forward Cygnet style could be made to work.

Sockmonkey

Leaving a gap in the truss (by making two ribs parallel) would become a weak spot IMHO. In the worst possible place.

We have real live engineers growing on trees here... one of them can easily verify, de-bunk, and/or quantify the uneducated opinion above.
Well the ribs are there to create the wing profile and prevent twisting. It's the fore and aft tubes that carry the load to the fuselage.
Still a fan of the parasol and Piojo...

...but for as the talk turns to midwing, I think swept forward Cygnet style could be made to work.
IMHO this wing type should be good for the Piojo or anything else as well.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
As mentioned, there are lots of more highly educated folk here than I, however...

One of the purposes of the truss rib style wing is that the truss provided strength in the fore-aft (drag / anti-drag) direction. Breaking this truss will require the fuselage structure to carry tension-compression loads at the trailing edge that would otherwise largely be carried by the wing. Also, the twisting loads from one side to the other would be balanced out or carried by a one-piece truss wing as Sockmonkey had drawn. The wing's ability to carry these loads would be reduced by "breaking the truss" as I am calling it.

A one-pievce truss wing as shown in that drawing would be a very interesting option for a parasol wing, where there is not any fuselage structure up to take these loads.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
One point...if looking to maximize strength to weight ratio, then I don't think you need the D-cell leading edge. As I understand it, the whole point of the Ercoupe-style wing is that the forward and rear spar and and diagonal ribs form a triangular truss in all directions to carry the drag/antidrag and torsion loads. Your sketch looks like aluminum so simple sheet nose ribs and a narrow leading edge, or maybe strips of aluminum over foam ribs, would be lighter and do the aerodynamic job.

9IeRT.jpg 3mtri.jpg

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The diagonal rib truss can end at the side fuselage attach fittings (like Ercoupe, Coot, etc) A one piece parasol wing would need the diagonal truss all the way to the aircraft centerline.

Sockmonkey

One point...if looking to maximize strength to weight ratio, then I don't think you need the D-cell leading edge. As I understand it, the whole point of the Ercoupe-style wing is that the forward and rear spar and and diagonal ribs form a triangular truss in all directions to carry the drag/antidrag and torsion loads. Your sketch looks like aluminum so simple sheet nose ribs and a narrow leading edge, or maybe strips of aluminum over foam ribs, would be lighter and do the aerodynamic job.
In my version, the leading edge D-tube is the forward spar. That's why I used it instead of a standard structure.

erkki67

Unfortunatly I see in almost all designs of Fritz my desires :)

The latest synthesis is almost perfect, a parasol with hopefully a landing gear like the Wilga or the Australian Hornet!!!

Let's wait and see what is coming from the Fritz's skunk works!!!! :)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Fritz I'm wondering if you have time for designing and rendering all 239 of the ideas that came out of this thread :)

You should have a lottery. Interested parties make a small donation to a local charity you select (you once mentioned a local church in your area that can genuinely use some help). The winner gets a defined chunk of your time to do the basic CAD work on their Flying Motorcycle concept.

Just brainstorming, sincerely no attempt being made to steer your interests or use of your time.

But count me in if this idea resonates with you.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That's the way to do it, Fritz sets up a poll of *his* favorite concepts and we all get to vote. Vote as often as you like but votes are cast by PayPal, $1 = 1 vote, send as much as you like. ;-)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I don't do PayPal anymore, so that would knock me out of it.

Another "wild hare" idea is that whoever's Flying Motorcycle concept that Fritz does the CAD work for... if it becomes a commercial product (homebuilt A/C kit) then a small percentage of profit or sales of that kit gets returned back (to the church, or animal shelter, homeless soup kitchen, whatever). This makes it into somewhat of an investment rather than a guaranteed return, with the attendant risks and complexity.

This may only be appropriate for those of us who would actually pursue a kit airplane business. But the potential financial return for the charitable benefactor is higher.

Before any of this gets discussed too much further, all of this was another one of my smart-aleck ideas, and it all hinges on an unsubstantiated assumption I made about Fritz, his interests, and his willingness to spend his time and skill on something kooky like this. I have no idea whatsoever if the idea makes sense to Fritz, or if his time is even available.

There are at least two or three ideas, concepts, napkin sketches, etc. of my own that I believe in enough to play the Solid-Fritz-Works lottery. My AeroCycle retro style flying motorcycle, my version of the VP-21 (code name Motor Mouse), and the aluminum Pelican.

FritzW

Log Member
...so many cool airplanes, so little time :gig:

The parasol that Erkki's talking about is the little tab and slot, sit-on-top, that I've posted on a few threads. We've been emailing back and forth on ways to replace the Cloudster/HiMax'ish wood cabains with "hacksaw and hand-drill" aluminum tube cabains. ...not as easy as it sounds

I'm hoping VB's aluminum Pelican idea get's tossed around a little more. If it was big enough for real people that'd be a pretty cool airplane. Sadly I lost my Pelican plans in a computer crash last fall :ermm:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I'm hoping VB's aluminum Pelican idea get's tossed around a little more. If it was big enough for real people that'd be a pretty cool airplane. Sadly I lost my Pelican plans in a computer crash last fall
I believe I have a set I can e-mail you, let me look and see.

EDIT, yes I found them, and I e-mailed them to the last e-mail address I had for you. Let me know if they don't come through intact.