Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sraight'nlevel

These are .....safer ?

Attachments

• 6a35e297473e5c3f203025d601ea24c1.jpg
    6a35e297473e5c3f203025d601ea24c1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

PiperCruisin

Supporting Member

peter hudson

I am just wondering. If the pilot is leaning on the steer (which is a bit usual on a motorbike), how do you plan to steer pitch? Pushing forwards and backwards will really not be a good choice. Any chock on the pilot will be otherwise transferred into the steering.
Maybe a seat that slides to either side for roll control (ala early wright bros) and fore/aft for pitch; and the handlebars provide the fixed point for the pilot to steady himself and leverage his weight/seat around. Perhaps the bars steer a little for yaw, or just use foot controls for rudder. I think you'd have to set up a simulator to play around with what feels natural and motorcycle-like for 3 axis control.

nestofdragons

nestofdragons

Maybe a seat that slides to either side for roll control (ala early wright bros) and fore/aft for pitch; and the handlebars provide the fixed point for the pilot to steady himself and leverage his weight/seat around. Perhaps the bars steer a little for yaw, or just use foot controls for rudder. I think you'd have to set up a simulator to play around with what feels natural and motorcycle-like for 3 axis control.
There is a Japanese project with pilot on top of flying wing. He steers like that. It proofs to be possible. But i think a flightstick is more relaxing. I recall a flight in modern hangglider bi-SWIFT with flighstick while others flew modern hanggliders. It was gusty air. The other pilots came down with sore arms of handling the triangle under the hangglider. I felt no fatique of using the flightstick. I really prefer flightstick.

Last edited: