Quantcast

Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Sockmonkey

My first thought is the turbulence the pilots body would course for the rudder.
It's already operating in disturbed air from the prop, so the pilot isn't going to make it much worse.

The whole thing would benefit from some non-structural aerodynamic fairings for both streamlining and styling as an aftermarket thing.
Right now one of the big things in my head is how to keep the overall design "clean" in that I don't want it to look like a flying erector set with wires and struts everywhere. Partly to reduce parts count and drag, but mostly for looks.
I really want to minimize the amount of structure needed to mount the main wing.

hole in the ground

That triggered a hitch hikers memory:

“CHAIRMAN
Yes, and, and, and the wheel. What about this wheel thingy? Sounds a terribly interesting project to me.

MARKETING GIRL:
Er, yeah, well we’re having a little, er, difficulty here…

FORD:
Difficulty?! It’s the single simplest machine in the entire universe!

MARKETING GIRL:
Well alright mister wise guy, if you’re so clever you tell us what colour it should be!”

Sockmonkey

But as long as those molecules generate lift :gig:
Of course. It's like when rock stars crowd surf.

So, the standard mounting for a pou type wing generally has at least three struts per wing to keep it stable in all directions.
However, I think we can cut down on that number by giving the two main ones a broad chord without interfering with the view much.