Modern Aircooled 4-Cylinder Aircraft Engine Using Contemporary Engine Technology

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Franklin may still be for sale?

http://franklinengines.com/
No, not exactly. A quick look at the CO Secretary of State's web site shows that Franklin Aircraft Engines, Inc. is an expired trade name in the state of Colorado (the entity owning the trade name entered delinquent status five years ago). That website has been the same for years.

Just this month, Franklin Aircraft Engines LLC was formed by the same individual that previously owned the now-defunct entity that owned Franklin Aircraft Engines, Inc. The address listed is at the old Fort Collins "downtown" airport, which closed more than a decade ago. The owner also appears to have had some shady dealings (under one of his other companies).

It isn't clear to me exactly what's up for sale other than some STCs. I'm not up to speed on the seemingly complicated family tree of the "real" Franklin and the various US companies that have been selling engines, but I'm pretty sure the company linked above is just somebody who owns some STCs, and may or may not actually be able to sell you an engine to go along with an STC.

RonL

HBA Supporter
I can only see the crank being supported at each end, not a high-time/high-performance setup for sure!
In video 8, at 4:30 he is talking about a mid bearing and he said because it was quite ingenious he was not going to show it on the tube.

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
An article worth reading and relevant to most of the bolted fasteners we use, not just thru bolts.

And...........it amazes me that we still depend on a torque wrench so much when a torque-n-turn method is so easy to use. I've never found torque-n-turn specifications for AN bolts. Do such exist?
They would probably have to take the length of the fastener, as sell as the diameter, into consideration.

Last edited:

TFF

AN are reusable so if torque holds it’s good. The other is for one use only bolts. Once yield toss.

most case through bolts are abused. Reused in field overhauls multi times. Lycoming tosses them when they OH because they don’t want it coming back. Engine on its fifth in field OH, they are wet noodles. Short bolts are easy to feel torque yield. Long ones have lots of stretch available and if you try and feel it or just add a bit more when it has yielded, it will break down the road.

If doing a top, you can only take one cylinder off at a time. Then torque a dummy of washers or if fancy a plate in place before you can even turn the crank to the next cylinder. They use low crush bearings now so they want to pop out with case not torqued.

Group Builder