• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modeling propeller inflow in CFD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_RR

Hello all,

I have a pusher design I want to run some CFD on (OpenFOAM) but the propeller disc forms part of the (hoped for) aerodynamic flow patterns to minimize drag/separation at the back end of a Goldschmied body and so I am hoping for a relatively simple way to estimate the flow field of the propeller upstream and downstream

After reading up a little from here and there, I am thinking of modelling it as a disc outlet patch upstream with a specified velocity field based on an estimated swirl factor and perhaps another inlet patch downstream with another swirl-factor-derived flow vector field. I have, at the moment, no idea exactly how I will compute these fields and/or what swirl factor I might consider using, but wondering if anyone has tried anything similar.

prop3.gif

I really don't want to get into modelling the blade á la Mr McGinnis's good work with CFD - looks like the mesh would smoke my poor laptop...

16-e1471050920250.png

Back